Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is that a different Sweden to this one?
These Are the World's Happiest Countries | Best Countries | US News
An absolute scandal that Merrie Olde England can only scrape in a 15th. Obviously a "fake poll" - where's dear old Uncle Don when you need him to rattle a few cages at US News? :rolleyes:
Dunno, but would you be happy living here if you were paying about £17 for a pint of beer in a pub?

That was my experience over there at the time and it was the source of much malaise. It wouldn't bother you so much there if you were super rich, but because of the lack of inequality, there weren't many that were.

The other massive bugbear for everyone there was not being able to buy alcohol from a shop between the hours of 5pm Friday through to 9am Monday. Were that to be enforced here there'd be riots.

I always laugh at these polls where Scandy countries usually come out on top. Give me Blighty and all its problems any day of the week.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
It would seem the Irish were playing silly buggers at Dublin Port and after hauliers (inc. ROI bound lorries) began diverting up to the more efficient passage through Belfast, the Irish got a tad worried and stopped playing silly buggers and suspended their new Brexit checks to make sure traffic ran smoothly again so the supermarket shelves in NI could be restocked again.
Probably like the Dutch, the Irish were being a bit mischievous at the start of the new arrangements in order to make a point.
Things will normalise I’m sure.
Would love to see actual corroboration of this story - I can find absolutely nothing on line.
And even you own beloved leader is admitting to "teething troubles" in this, and many other, aspect of Brexit.
Still, in your cosy little world EVERYTHING is bound to be someone elses fault.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would love to see actual corroboration of this story - I can find absolutely nothing on line.
And even you own beloved leader is admitting to "teething troubles" in this, and many other, aspect of Brexit.
Still, in your cosy little world EVERYTHING is bound to be someone elses fault.
As I understand it the Irish need to be a tad careful as Stormont gets to vote on the continuance of the Irish protocol every four years, so let’s hope they behave themselves.

Rosencrantz

DB9

He said 'diminishing' freedom. Today, if somebody wants to sell their council house and buy a retirement villa in Spain they need proof of income around £30k to qualify for a third country retirement visa. No problem for those with means, but for those without, it is a diminishing of their freedom. For what ?
Surely if you want to live in another country you have to have means?

DB9

It never used to be...

View attachment 5189

...but times change I guess. Seeking your fortunes elsewhere has never been an easy ride.
Nope it never use to be but times have changed, The "£10 Poms" of the 60's & 70's going to Australia and New Zealand for example are long gone, Countries are not now crying out for people per say, They want those that can benefit their country, That is why criteria's have to be met.

elginCity

Surely if you want to live in another country you have to have means?
Of course, but the bar is set much higher for a third country retiree to Spain. Free movement means as an EU citizen you only need to prove income of around 7.5k euros to retire in Spain, 30k euros if you’re from Canada, Oz, US, UK etc.