Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
As with the fear of future EU federalism, it's impossible to counter an entrenched negative viewpoint full of 'possibly' and 'could', because it's your fear, and no doubt a justification for the UK bailing out. Just like dear old Stuffers believing strongly, despite no evidence, that Germany and France are on the brink of attacking Russia, that is his fear. Tavy has a fear of supranational governance, the sharing of sovereignty, despite no evidence of it being detrimental to the UK's interest, in fact the reverse is true, as we're seeing daily now.

The very same fears fuelled by the Murdoch and Barclay press. Crack on fellas, pull up the drawbridge, erect the barriers once again, all these fears might become reality one day. Can't argue with that. :)
You point out France & Germany there. It's pretty obvious the relationship between those two is pivotal to the whole EU project.

All it will take is for those two to fall out and, were that to happen, I have every reason to believe the EU will finally crumble. Why has their relationship been so stable up to now? Well more recently, I'd put that down to the level headed Merkel. She's been around for a while but will soon be gone. Heck, even Macron could be gone this time next year.

Each time they get replaced it's like throwing the dice. At some point during the next 50 years there will be a point where their respective leaders irrevocably fall out.

Spoonz Red E

Well-known Exeweb poster
Modern left, modern right.
At least it's modern.
England swings like a pendulum do.

"Tribal debaters shocked to find tribal debate on tribal debate platforms but take solace in dividing the 'real' world into broad tribes".
Hold the front page.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
But it isn't Tavy. It's the modern Right's fear of anything different that doesn't benefit them, directly, financially.
Your theory about right wing parties only being a front for the interests of its traditional backers is about to be tested big time with the Government’s levelling up agenda. If they can pull it off, then I don’t know where the progressives can go politically. 👍

Spoonz Red E

Well-known Exeweb poster
Your theory about right wing parties only being a front for the interests of its traditional backers is about to be tested big time with the Government’s levelling up agenda. If they can pull it off, then I don’t know where the progressives can go politically. 👍
If they can pull it off I'll be delighted as it will be progressive in itself.

I might worry now that it was only vote buying but then I only have years of political history and practice to go on.

It was only knowing that we had been promised 'Caring Capitalism' by one and all in power that got me through PFI debt, the Global Crash, the Housing Crisis, 10 years of Austerity and the Collapse of Social Services and kept me a smiling and a whistling.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
If they can pull it off I'll be delighted as it will be progressive in itself.

I might worry now that it was only vote buying but then I only have years of political history and practice to go on.

It was only knowing that we had been promised 'Caring Capitalism' by one and all in power that got me through PFI debt, the Global Crash, the Housing Crisis, 10 years of Austerity and the Collapse of Social Services and kept me a smiling and a whistling.
You’re right it’s not a given considering past history.