• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes they can, but can only sue Jeremy Corbyn for going against his 2017 pledge.
No mention of Corbyn on that contract I'm afraid Jinxy, It is a contract "Issued" by the then Government (Tory) and Vote Leave, So in legal terms only those on that contract can be sued.

Mr Jinx

No mention of Corbyn on that contract I'm afraid Jinxy, It is a contract "Issued" by the then Government (Tory) and Vote Leave, So in legal terms only those on that contract can be sued.
Vote Leave had very little to do with the Government at the time (who was mostly pro Remain). It was nothing more than a speculative Brexiteer wish list.

The nearest thing to a contract was the Government leaflet we all had through the letterbox saying that they would implement the wishes of whichever side won. They didn't (but not for want of trying).

And with that list, I'd say none of them can be judged until we're in the latter half of this decade. As it doesn't mention sovereignty, the other main point I suppose is around reduction of migration. If that doesn't go down significantly by the time of the next election, I suspect Farage will be dusting off his Tea Party again to try and focus the government's mind.

DB9

Vote Leave had very little to do with the Government at the time (who was mostly pro Remain). It was nothing more than a speculative Brexiteer wish list.

The nearest thing to a contract was the Government leaflet we all had through the letterbox saying that they would implement the wishes of whichever side won. They didn't (but not for want of trying).

And with that list, I'd say none of them can be judged until we're in the latter half of this decade. As it doesn't mention sovereignty, the other main point I suppose is around reduction of migration. If that doesn't go down significantly by the time of the next election, I suspect Farage will be dusting off his Tea Party again to try and focus the government's mind.
Like a lot of Brexiteer "Wish Lists" its going to be a struggle to grant them. Can't remember, Was the £350m saving per week going to the NHS on the big red bus a wish or a statement it will happen?

arthur

On another note, around lockdowns, I see Sir K is against ordering his troops not to vote. Pathetic. Pick a side FFS. You're either pro lockdown or not. Stop playing politics with the damn thing.
I know that "picking a side" is an essential ingredient of a culture war which is presumably why you keep advocating side picking, but there is a time and place for quietly standing back awaiting developments.

It is perfectly reasonable to say "I broadly approve of what you are trying to achieve, but you're doing it so badly that I cannot possibly support you and thereby be associated with the consequences of your profound incompetence". Which is what would happen if Starmer were to support Johnson's cobbled together lockdown strategy or his ultra hard Brexit deal: "You can't complain because you voted for it" would be Johnson's response for years to come.

Still it would make a nice change from "what the British people want to talk about is....." which is getting well past its sell by date

Mr Jinx

Like a lot of Brexiteer "Wish Lists" its going to be a struggle to grant them. Can't remember, Was the £350m saving per week going to the NHS on the big red bus a wish or a statement it will happen?
Statement of intent I suppose. Certainly not a contract and more fools those who thought it was binding at the time.

DB9

Statement of intent I suppose. Certainly not a contract and more fools those who thought it was binding at the time.
Bit unfair that Jinxy, Calling leave voters"Fools" for believing what they were told during the ref campaign and not just on the odd occasion but day after day.

Mr Jinx

I know that "picking a side" is an essential ingredient of a culture war which is presumably why you keep advocating side picking, but there is a time and place for quietly standing back awaiting developments.

It is perfectly reasonable to say "I broadly approve of what you are trying to achieve, but you're doing it so badly that I cannot possibly support you and thereby be associated with the consequences of your profound incompetence". Which is what would happen if Starmer were to support Johnson's cobbled together lockdown strategy or his ultra hard Brexit deal: "You can't complain because you voted for it" would be Johnson's response for years to come.

Still it would make a nice change from "what the British people want to talk about is....." which is getting well past its sell by date
If what the bill is proposing is that bad, then you vote against it. If you broadly agree with it then you vote with it. Mass abstention is somewhere between not really caring and game playing.

This stuff is important. MPs took sides one way or another during the many Brexit votes in the HOC during 2019. As they did with the bill over the Bombing of Syria. And looking further back to 2003, the Tories could've played games with the vote over the Iraq invasion, but they didn't and bravely took the side of the Government.

elginCity

R4 Today was Pythonesque earlier - two exporters hugely frustrated at trying to navigate Vote Leave's 'EU export advice' web site. One described at is as going down a worm hole, the other as going down a rabbit hole ! :LOL: Transition ends this month, good luck chaps.

Fish exporters are worried customs delay at our newly controlled border will mean smelly mackerel being returned, money men are fleeing our shores. At least sovereignty which we've always had will still be ours, and we now have the ability to control our borders which we've always had, so glory be to Brexit let's have a festival and celebrate ! :LOL:

Mr Jinx

Bit unfair that Jinxy, Calling leave voters"Fools" for believing what they were told during the ref campaign and not just on the odd occasion but day after day.
Any voter that thinks a party will implement every single word and full stop of their pre-election manifesto is somewhere between extremely naïve and lacking a bit in the IQ department, yes. And the various pro-leave bodies weren't even parties so to speak.

arthur

R4 Today was Pythonesque earlier - two exporters hugely frustrated at trying to navigate Vote Leave's 'EU export advice' web site. One described at is as going down a worm hole, the other as going down a rabbit hole ! :LOL: Transition ends this month, good luck chaps.

Fish exporters are worried customs delay at our newly controlled border will mean smelly mackerel being returned, money men are fleeing our shores. At least sovereignty which we've always had will still be ours, and we now have the ability to control our borders which we've always had, so glory be to Brexit let's have a festival and celebrate ! :LOL:
I loved an advert from this lot - "to find your opportunity". Perhaps they could help exporters find a lorry - that would be a start