• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would say pay me or I will sue you. So what is the EU’s loss in this matter ?
You've already answered my question. An agreement is an agreement. Other talk is superfluous to the main point

IndoMike

Everyone could really see it, but if anyone is giving the current government the benefit of doubt of clutching at skirts and being shocked at the nasty EU...

Let's face it. The vast majority of the UK don't really care about NI's situation when it comes to Brexit and it is something the government think they can play fast and loose with.
You say everyone could really see it but I don"t remember the Irish border question being raised at all in the press, by politicians or even on Exeweb in the lead up to the referendum or in the early days of post- referendum. So you're saying everyone knew about it but nobody mentioned it. Doesn't ring true to me

IndoMike

Crace on Miliband taunting

What followed was one highlight after another. Serial incompetence of a man who couldn’t remember it was his deal he was reneging on. The list of politicians who agreed that the deal had protected the Northern Ireland protocol. The observation there was already a dispute resolution procedure that didn’t involve the failed state option. But the collector’s item was his invitation for Boris to back up his assertion that the withdrawal agreement imposed a blockade on GB goods into Northern Ireland.

“Come on,” Ed said, his voice laced with condescension. “I know you’re a details man. Show me the blockade. I will give way to you.” Boris remained almost immobile, the blood draining from his face. He was so, so busted.

Rosencrantz

You say everyone could really see it but I don"t remember the Irish border question being raised at all in the press, by politicians or even on Exeweb in the lead up to the referendum or in the early days of post- referendum. So you're saying everyone knew about it but nobody mentioned it. Doesn't ring true to me
I wasn't really talking about the Irish border around referendum time but at the time Boris and the ERG and DUP were attacking Theresa May's backstop solution to the problem of having to have a border between the UK and EU (in Ireland which everyone wants to avoid due to GFA) if a trade deal could not be reached when she was PM. If you click my link in the previous post you can see at the bottom of the story May predicting a border down the Irish Sea which is what Boris negotiated and agreed to in the WA he voted for and signed and is now trying to renege on.

As for at the time of the referendum, it was being discussed but not at the top of the agenda. The arguments went along normal project fear and unicorn lines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/09/tony-blair-and-john-major-brexit-would-close-irish-border

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-35692452

IndoMike

For those demanding that the kids should go back to school, they forgot that all "back to normal" activity depends on a very effective test and trace system. They also forgot that we don't have one.....Of course everyone wants the kids to get back into the classroom, but....

"England face an autumn of paralysis due to difficulties in obtaining coronavirus tests, headteachers have warned, with education “grinding to a halt” when staff and students are forced to stay home following a suspected case.

Thousands of school leaders have written to the education secretary, Gavin Williamson, warning of “partial rolling closures” of schools and disruption to pupils’ catch-up studies, because of serious staff shortages just days into the new term".

fred binneys head

tavyred

The IM bill passes its second reading with a majority of 77 votes. Some rebellion. 🤷‍♂️
Someone tell the MSM that this isn’t 2019 and we kicked the ‘rotten parliament’ out last December.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Just think, it'd have been chaos with Ed according to the Tories :)

Mr Jinx

The IM bill passes its second reading with a majority of 77 votes. Some rebellion. 🤷‍♂️
Someone tell the MSM that this isn’t 2019 and we kicked the ‘rotten parliament’ out last December.
It was interesting that Ed Milland did a much better job of roasting Boris in the HOC yesterday than Starmer ever could. That should be a bit worrying for Labour. Say what you like about Ed, he's got a lot more passion and spunk than the wooden one.

That aside, yes the votes weren't even close. That's the difference a stonking majority makes. Thanks Jezza.

lamrobhero

Meanwhile in the USA

In a new Bob Woodward tape, Trump says that he prefers strongmen to democratic leaders.