• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Congratulations Indo, I thought even you would struggle to make a partisan point about what has been widely seen as a magnanimous offer by the UK Gov. to the people of HK should they wish to get the hell out of Dodge in the months and years ahead.
You do know that some things transcend the party political don’t you?

Last edited:

DB9

Congratulations Indo, I thought even you would struggle to make a partisan point about what has been widely seen as a magnanimous offer by the UK Gov. to the people of HK should they wish to get the hell out of Dodge in the months and years ahead.
Do you genuinely think the Chinese would let HK be emptied?

tavyred

Do you genuinely think the Chinese would let HK be emptied?
I haven’t the faintest idea, but that shouldn’t detract from the laudable actions of the UK Gov. Do you agree with Indo when he says it was an empty gesture then?

DB9

I haven’t the faintest idea, but that shouldn’t detract from the laudable actions of the UK Gov. Do you agree with Indo when he says it was an empty gesture then?
No, I think HK is a touch paper let down by its own legislators pampering to Beijing. In 1997 we needed to give HK residents full passports back then, Not the overseas one because we all knew back then the Chinese do what they want. I'm sure the Chinese and UK Government's will defuse this just because of the trade between the two countries.

IndoMike

It's easy to offer something that cannot possibly be taken.
I"ll give you my Ford Ranger, Tavy, but you'll have to come here and drive it back home. Yep, easy to offer
Not in a million years will China allow millions , or even thousands of Hongkongers to leave HK.
PS. You talk about politicising? You think this is not and will not be a political issue?

Last edited:

tavyred

No, I think HK is a touch paper let down by its own legislators pampering to Beijing. In 1997 we needed to give HK residents full passports back then, Not the overseas one because we all knew back then the Chinese do what they want. I'm sure the Chinese and UK Government's will defuse this just because of the trade between the two countries.
So the HKG at fault, the UKG at fault, but the CCP they just do want they want, so there?
The key for HK is whether the US who treat HK as a special financial/banking case because of the one country, two systems rule are willing to carry on as was in the light China's power grab.

tavyred

It's easy to offer something that cannot possibly be taken.
I"ll give you my Ford Ranger, Tavy, but you'll have to come here and drive it back home. Yep, easy to offer
Not in a million years will China allow millions , or even thousands of Hongkongers to leave HK.
PS. You talk about politicising? You think this is not and will not be a political issue?
Whats the mileage? :)

elginCity

Remember Spaff being urged to form a global alliance in response to China ? Classic Dom came up with a three word slogan 'Respect International Treaties', and the world just laughed.

DB9

So the HKG at fault, the UKG at fault, but the CCP they just do want they want, so there?
The key for HK is whether the US who treat HK as a special financial/banking case because of the one country, two systems rule are willing to carry on as was in the light China's power grab.
The Chinese can do what they want in their own country, Which HK is, I'm not saying its right but what can we do? My point is when the UK and Chinese Governments were in talks over the handover, The UK should have offered full UK passports, Which if my memory serves me right there was that very point made back then. If the UK want to give the HK UK passports now then that's fine by me, Just don't expect the Chinese to roll over and let HK be emptied, The place itself is a hub of finance and the Chinese will not want to risk that but you know what the Chinese think about political freedom, They're not its biggest fan.

arthur

Tavy, I was just wondering what The People think about the potential for three million Hong Kongers to come here and depress wage levels?