• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Of course all lives matter, that goes without saying. But we don't live in a world where all lives matter equally, that's the whole point.
The question is, why does this have to be explained to some white people? Do they genuinely think that we all have an equal chance of being murdered by a policeman? Or is it that they are uncomfortable with the uppityness and this is the way they express it?

IndoMike

I don't think Rommel or his boss Field Marshall Gerd von Rundstedt would allow the SS anywhere near their Command Post considering the planning in progress.

I was sat in the South Marston Country Club (it's no longer there) talking to a middle aged electrician from Crewe who worked on the Channel Tunnel. He said that the French insisted that all the electrical paraphernalia used in the tunnel be of French manufacture and at his age he had to sit a French competence test. Apparently the welders found themselves in the same position. Pushing us around even there and then.

Just imagine that once the Royal Navy operated in what was called the "Two-Power Standard." This meant that up til 1921 the Royal Navy's strength was equal to the naval strength any two other countries. You must wonder how Britain, who owns 80% of the EU's Fishable waters spends less time at sea than French - great innit? And now the home waters of that once mighty fleet have the French threatening to blockade our ships in port. How they can do this is beyond me as they would have to enter our waters without permission which is against international maritime law. Still, you know how the French get away with things like illegal subsidies for Airbus and French airlines. You couldn't make it up :rolleyes:

Yes, Gordon, to his credit, got that one spot on. shame about this Mike..

Getting late in.the night for me to read something heavy, Stuffers. Will look tomorrow.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course all lives matter, that goes without saying. But we don't live in a world where all lives matter equally, that's the whole point.
The question is, why does this have to be explained to some white people? Do they genuinely think that we all have an equal chance of being murdered by a policeman? Or is it that they are uncomfortable with the uppityness and this is the way they express it?
I've always wondered why certain people are so quick to read "black lives matter" as "only black lives matter", rather than "black lives matter too".

IndoMike

I'm not trying to provoke you or anyone, I wish you wouldn't rear up so.

I agree he is easily the lesser of two evils but he is, to me, a wholly uninspiring alternative to take on the mantle of 'leader of the free world'. His sole virtue seems to be he isn't Trump.
His age matters. It is a complex job with huge responsibilities. The fact he seems to forget basic facts and names on a semi-regular basis is a concern plus the significantly heightened risk that he becomes incapacitated in the course of the 4 year Presidency.

Am confused by the idea that Trump wants Europe to fragment = he wants to dominate it. Slapping tariffs on the French, and wanting Europe to defend itself rather than rely on him don't fit with this for me. But there we go.
Why do you always exaggerate so much? I haven't reared up. I just found your comment on Biden unpleasant and told you so.
Biden is not an ideal candidate, but it's all there is. He needs to pick a really good VP : someone who the public can trust to take over when the time comes.
I'm surprised you didn't get my comment about Trump and Europe. Europe is clearly a much stronger force as a block than as nations operating individually, which is why
Trump - and Putin - would like to see it weakened. If your competition is weakened you become stronger. This will provide Trump/the US with a stronger bargaining position and make it easier for it to get its own way through intimidation and frankly political extortion.

IndoMike

PMQT

Make your own minds up.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure I am wildly enthusiastic about the scenes in Central London this afternoon.

Important issue - yes
Right to protest - yes
Mass breach of social distancing and huge police operation required to keep order - no thanks

DB9

David Dorn's life mattered too

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
David Dorn's life mattered too
Who said it didn't?

DB9

Who said it didn't?
Hardly anyone, Died protecting some store from looters just because of a TV set, Shot.

DB9

George Floyd should never had died, The Police Officer is now facing 2nd degree murder and charges are being filed against the other Officers who were there too and quite right too but the rioting after is causing more death and pain to so many others