• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
If (big "if) a foolproof vaccine is discovered and if (big "if") the economy is not hit by a double whammy of virus and BREXIT and if the virus does not mutate in a way which invalidates the vaccine, then I would hope that we'd be starting to recover by 2004. If all that happens then the Tories might win again. It depends if the people who are dissatisfied now have long memories.
Four years is a helluva long time in politics. Grayling might replace Johnson and the country could become one of the best ferry operators in the world !!
That is most definitely not going to happen, but take a merit point for making I smile

Alistair20000

Bad form to talk about somebody behind their back (waves at our Jase) .... remember back in February when the Tory fanboy reassured us all that a vaccine was only 3 weeks away.... 🤣
Don't you wish he had been right on that Elgy ?

IndoMike

That is most definitely not going to happen, but take a merit point for making I smile
Who says I'm living in the past??

elginCity

Don't you wish he had been right on that Elgy ?
Of course I do, Al, but took it for what it was at the time, justifying the torpor and inaction of his masters.

arthur

I don't like to speak about Tavers behind his back as it were, but are you doing him a disservice by referring to the "temporary" Tavy right? Or have I not got your drift? I would have thought it was permanent.
I meant the people Tavy champions, rather than old Tavers himself. You know, the salt of the earth socially conservative "old white working class" who used to vote Labour but recently "lent their votes" to Johnson. They are extremely annoyed by the behaviour of the elite - Cummings and Johnson, priveleged posh boys the pair of them.

elginCity

I question leaving the EU full stop, Elgy
Half the country and the rest of the world does, indo. But we’ve left already, sadly.

IndoMike

I meant the people Tavy champions, rather than old Tavers himself. You know, the salt of the earth socially conservative "old white working class" who used to vote Labour but recently "lent their votes" to Johnson. They are extremely annoyed by the behaviour of the elite - Cummings and Johnson, priveleged posh boys the pair of them.
Thought I'd gone wrong somewhere 🙄
Yep. Let's hope they've learned not to trust the likes of the Sun et al any more nor to trust those who speak with forked tongues.
I will.never ever understand why they voted for Johnson : in fact they voted for BREXIT and Johnson rode on the Brexit wave. I knew he'd come unstuck when the Brexit issue started to fall back

IndoMike

Half the country and the rest of the world does, indo. But we’ve left already, sadly.
That's the way it is. One of the biggest mistakes we have ever made.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I disagree 😀

By and large my side has accepted ‘contract exchange’, it’s now done and dusted, legally binding.

The Covid response merely confirms what my side has been claiming throughout the past 5 years; the ineptitude and dishonesty of the Johnson cabal.

My side questions the wisdom of leaving the EU without a deal, always has done, it has nothing to do with Covid.
Lots on 'your' side are calling for the Brexit transition to be extended. Ed Davey, the SNP, Alastair Campbell and today, Sadiq Khan.
A You Gov poll last week had 43% supporting an extension.
To his credit Kier Starmer isn't currently one of them.
Surely you will admit that calls for more extensions are in the hope that eventually it just won't happen, like the 2nd referendum calls were overwhelming made by those that voted remain.

On the other side, many Brexit headbangers are saying that Covid is actually a good reason to leave with no deal as the economic shock has already happened and can't be any worse than currently.

So Covid is being used by both sides to justify what they want.

I think I am on 'your side' on this btw :)

Last edited:

DB9

Even Starmar said in an interview that Brexit was done, He has accepted that but it seems the Brexiteers think there is some conspiracy going on to stop it and using Covid-19 as an excuse, The paranoia with them is quite amazing, You won, Brexit is happening, Get over it.