• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rarely do we agree, but on this I'm with you 100%.

Although we've had the legal exchange of contracts, completion date hasn't happened, the buyers are understandably nervous and fearful the 'sale' will fall through. Therein lies the problem.

Because of Brexit, too many are ignoring their mistrust of this incompetent government and continuing to support it, whereas in 'normal' times the public as a whole would be demanding so much more of them.
It's good to agree :)

To continue your analogy, I'd venture that between exchange and completion there was a massive hurricane. The forecasters predicted it a week ahead but the seller didn't board up in time and forgot to tether the caravan in the front garden such that it was blown into the house causing significant damage and killing the mother-in-law. The buyer and seller are still arguing whether it is better to demolish the house and start again, or whether to rebuild and how much each option would cost.

Neither have any expertise in this area and are being given conflicting advice from 'expert' surveyors and architects as to what to do.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The point made in the Kellner article is that poor old John Major made a reasonable fist of things post Black Wednesday, but it did him no good at all!
I don't think Cummingsgate is on a level with Black Wednesday because it doesn't really impact people directly. Economic issues resulting from Corona and Brexit are more likely to have a similar fallout. But I think it may add weight to a perception that Johnson and co. can't be trusted to fix such issues, especially if they start up a "we're all in this together" line.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Eh ? The Brexit dodgy salesman is Johnson, and the buyer is his voter support. Demolishing the mis-sold pile of sh1te is a great thought, but they think it's going to be wonderful !

Alistair20000

2024 could be a good election to lose as the economic impact of Covid-19 and its consequences will be biting very hard by then with only a choice of unpopular medicines to administer. Might not be much better by 2029 mind.

Alistair20000

18 years of Tories, people were also ready for a change.
Yep, swing of the pendulum and 18 years is a long time to be in government. Rev Blair had packaged himself as electable, had the Sun batting for him and Labour promised not to increase income tax during the Parliament and to follow Tory economic policies for the first two years.

arthur

Yep, swing of the pendulum and 18 years is a long time to be in government. Rev Blair had packaged himself as electable, had the Sun batting for him and Labour promised not to increase income tax during the Parliament and to follow Tory economic policies for the first two years.
As Ken Clarke remarked sometime in 1998, "I'm not infallible, despite what Gordon Brown might think"

Spoonz Red E

It's good to agree :)

To continue your analogy, I'd venture that between exchange and completion there was a massive hurricane. The forecasters predicted it a week ahead but the seller didn't board up in time and forgot to tether the caravan in the front garden such that it was blown into the house causing significant damage and killing the mother-in-law. The buyer and seller are still arguing whether it is better to demolish the house and start again, or whether to rebuild and how much each option would cost.

Neither have any expertise in this area and are being given conflicting advice from 'expert' surveyors and architects as to what to do.
Trump could have warned him about the caravan.

arthur

I don't think Cummingsgate is on a level with Black Wednesday because it doesn't really impact people directly. Economic issues resulting from Corona and Brexit are more likely to have a similar fallout. But I think it may add weight to a perception that Johnson and co. can't be trusted to fix such issues, especially if they start up a "we're all in this together" line.
I still can't see any way back for Johnson. He is devoid of talent, as, thanks to him, is his cabinet. Bluster politics - it'll all be wonderful, world beating, bla bla etc. - just won't cut it any more, but he has nothing else to offer. Nor does he have, unlike Thatcher and Major before him, the personal willingness and ability to knuckle down and see anything through to a conclusion. What passes for his "base" is the most angry of the whole electorate with the contempt shown to them by him and Cummings, and it is they who will suffer disproportionately from the after effects of Covid and a No Deal Brexit. On top of all that he has a competent Labour Party holding him to account with regular forensic questioning by a top QC which will leave him with nowhere to hide.

Rosencrantz

I think you are underestimating the personal feeling around not so much what Cummings did, rather than the farcical and arrogant reaction from himself and Boris with various roped in minister's. Thousands have taken a hard decision and kept to the rules. For a lot, the circumstances have been heart breaking, yet they done their civic duty. The feeling for these people has cut deep and is very personal, and they cut across political lines. That perception (and the perception of Boris's authority and ability) will have formed and hardened very quickly.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Eh ? The Brexit dodgy salesman is Johnson, and the buyer is his voter support. Demolishing the mis-sold pile of sh1te is a great thought, but they think it's going to be wonderful !
I think it will be a while before the effects (good or bad) of Brexit are seen. It may well be bad before it is good. Or it may be ok, but not so good long-term.
People will argue about it forever more, and the CV has added another spanner in the works - to which both sides are already using to suit its own arguments.

I haven't been impressed with pan-European leadership during this crisis. Individual leaders have done well - Merkel, naturellment, but also the Greeks, Costa in Portugal, the Danes, amongst others. i admire Sweden for having the guts to stick with its plan - still unproven long-term if it was right.

The EU itself has looked impotent, lots of squabbling and finger pointing and the ECB rumpus, led by Largarde, remains a smouldering powder keg.