• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'll agree Al with just saying that this virus was a totally unknown, We were told to stay home, Even today the message is if you can stay home and not meet people if you think you have symptoms, which he did. It's the sense of the rules don't apply to them and people, Especially those who have lost loved ones and couldn't even be there to say goodbye won't forget.
Very much so DB. Do as I say, not as I do is the mantra of these feckers.

Reactions: DB9

Banksy

Cummingsgate is highly unlikely to be an issue if the election takes place in 2023 or 2024.
Perhaps not , however our crap ’ first past the post’ system means that folk like me who can’t stand either party are effectively de franchised . My comment was made tongue in cheek , whatever cockups are made on route we will be rewarded with the same old Labour , Tory , Labour , Tory with no chance of relief.

Rosencrantz

I'll agree Al with just saying that this virus was a totally unknown, We were told to stay home, Even today the message is if you can stay home and not meet people if you think you have symptoms, which he did. It's the sense of the rules don't apply to them and people, Especially those who have lost loved ones and couldn't even be there to say goodbye won't forget.
I think that's the point. With Prescott, people were watching on with a case of detachment. It was a dick throwing an egg and someone who should know better reacting like a dick. If anyone had found themselves in that situation and done the right thing by not reacting, it didn't really hurt them by not retaliating even if they would feel aggrieved Prezza got away with one.

There have been hundreds, thousands of people in Cummings situation who had similar decisions to make, with families and friends desperate to help, who did what the government told them and put up with the consequences. Those consequences range from additional struggle to genuine hurt, distress and guilt which will last a long time. This resonates with a lot of people on a personal level.

I agree that the principle of defending your own is similar. But I think there is a lot of people who for this occurrence strikes on a very personal level. All the people who are defending him as doing something entirely reasonable are demeaning the majority of people who took the really hard option. And they will rightly be very angry.

LOG

The public, by default, tend not to like characters like Cummings at the best of times. They sit in the shadows, completely unaccountable yet influencing those in power and, if it all turns to :poop: they just scuttle off.

Plus he looks a bit weird.

LOG

A little Michael Gove compilation from today.

DB9

The public, by default, tend not to like characters like Cummings at the best of times. They sit in the shadows, completely unaccountable yet influencing those in power and, if it all turns to :poop: they just scuttle off.

Normally their influence is not so public, Other than Alistar Campbell in recent years we don't even know their names but with Cummings, It seems Johnson can't even have a dump without being advised by him, This pandemic has shown who the organ grinder really is and it has so publicly affected millions of lives in this country leading to the death of thousands and yet he thinks the rules never applied to him, It could be a defining moment.

IndoMike

It will end with the Tories losing the next election Mike and so the merry go round goes round again , and again , and....
That's 5 bloody years, Banksy. God knows what damage they"ll do in that time. They can't do anything right

Banksy

Reminds me a bit of Baldrick .Wonder if he likes turnips?

IndoMike

A little Michael Gove compilation from today.

You just gotta laugh when you see this.
The current Govt is not very good at maths 2 + 2 = 5 always.

Rosencrantz

Normally their influence is not so public, Other than Alistar Campbell in recent years we don't even know their names but with Cummings, It seems Johnson can't even have a dump without being advised by him, This pandemic has shown who the organ grinder really is and it has so publicly affected millions of lives in this country leading to the death of thousands and yet he thinks the rules never applied to him, It could be a defining moment.
Exactly, and when they demonstrate such a lack of judgement under pressure without the recognition, even in hindsight, it was a misjudgment it raises serious questions about their position that still remain unanswered, no matter what the government hope.