• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Policing bill!

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do we get charged for the police at the Newport game? Only I presume we only had that many to hold a dry run for the derby game?
Yes we got charged - and it was probably all good prectice

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd guess that in reality the helicopter is used to monitor the surrounding areas but that they hover it over the ground so that we have to pay for it.
Club don't get charged for the helicopter - the fine residents of Devon and Cornwall pay for it through their council tax :p

Last edited:

FAN-TATIC

Club don't get charged for the helicopter - the fine residents of Devon and Cornwall pay for it through their council tax :p
We would not have to pay for it anyway. It was not in the Stadium(or of any use if it had been) or the car parks (behind the BB and the Centre Spot).
The mounted police and those officers policing the transfer of Argyle fans from St Davids Stn and back can not be charged to the club either. The Argyle fans were members of the public walking along a public highway, where it is the responsibility of the police to protect citizens in those areas.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
We would not have to pay for it anyway. It was not in the Stadium(or of any use if it had been) or the car parks (behind the BB and the Centre Spot).
The mounted police and those officers policing the transfer of Argyle fans from St Davids Stn and back can not be charged to the club either. The Argyle fans were members of the public walking along a public highway, where it is the responsibility of the police to protect citizens in those areas.
While in theory that's so, as I understand it football clubs have mostly been reluctant to challenge the bill for policing costs, even if they think them over-egged, and despite the Leeds United judgement, as they want to keep good relationships with Inspector Knacker. So I suspect the club will be paying most if not all of the policing cost for the Argyle game including deployments well away from the ground.

I hope that after the ridiculous over-manning we saw on Saturday the club will seek to agree a more modest policing profile next time we play Argyle at SJP - assuming there is a next time...

FAN-TATIC

While in theory that's so, as I understand it football clubs have mostly been reluctant to challenge the bill for policing costs, even if they think them over-egged, and despite the Leeds United judgement, as they want to keep good relationships with Inspector Knacker. So I suspect the club will be paying most if not all of the policing cost for the Argyle game including deployments well away from the ground.

I hope that after the ridiculous over-manning we saw on Saturday the club will seek to agree a more modest policing profile next time we play Argyle at SJP - assuming there is a next time...
John. Are you suggesting that a club like ours with the very tight financial restraints that we have will simply pay for services that we have no legal requirement to pay for? I find that to be extraordinary. The overall cost of policing for Saturday's game must have cost well in excess of the £17k being banded around.

Utter Terry

What a lot of fans dont understand is why don't the club come out and make public their displeasure at the high police enforced costs ?

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a lot of fans dont understand is why don't the club come out and make public their displeasure at the high police enforced costs ?
IIRC there was a lot of noises were made when we first played Argyle in League 1. Although I don't recall whether anything came of it.

When Leeds challenged the police over costs, I believe it was a very high risk and could have cost them more in the long run.

RichCounty27

Hopefully??? They are there for the taking, You should p*ss walk it!!!!!!!
:) After almost 40 years of following the County I refuse to take anything for granted!

FAN-TATIC

:) After almost 40 years of following the County I refuse to take anything for granted!
Odd that. After 60 years I get the same feeling about City!:(

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
If fans don't understand that it's because they're too stupid to see the bigger picture, that's why. Why would the club do this - all it's going to do is antagonise an already football-hating police force who'll all of a sudden find 'intelligence' to support much heavier policing for a much greater number of games.

The police are well aware of the club's views on their ridiculous costs without the club needing to broadcast it anywhere.