• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Playoffs Season 2019/20

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Two or three events could still derail them one being that the PL and/or Championship are, for whatever reason, unable to play out their Leagues. Should this happen I cannot see the outcome as being anything other than a voiding of both Leagues, which would cascade down to League One and Two, as any attempt to settle the top Leagues on PPG would inevitably open up the Legal flood gates.

Having said that it would seem the only real reason why the PL and Championship might not finish would be a significant number of players being tested positive or, perish the thought, a second spike.

On that basis it looks as if the odds on the playoffs going ahead are about 80/20 in favour. That being the case what do we think? Am I bit premature in starting this thread or can we start to turn our attention to talking about football again and whether this could still be our year to celebrate at least “football wise”.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’ve been firmly of the opinion that trying to hold the play-offs wasn’t a great idea and that they would never actually happen. However, it looks like the EFL really want them to take place and gradually the possible hurdles are being overcome. Still not getting excited just yet and having assumed we had no possibility of promotion it’s hard to get my head around the thought we might still have a chance.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remain sceptical as to whether the playoff games will happen. IMO League 1 is likely to prevaricate and prevaricate then cancel relegation, which means there is no point in playing them.

I am also of the view that ECFC should refuse to take part in any playoff games unless our costs of doing so are entirely underwritten by the EFL (who under the current rules will keep ALL the revenue for televising the five games).

I realise the Club cannot or does not want to step out of line, but if I ruled the world that's what I'd do.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remain sceptical as to whether the playoff games will happen. IMO League 1 is likely to prevaricate and prevaricate then cancel relegation, which means there is no point in playing them.

I am also of the view that ECFC should refuse to take part in any playoff games unless our costs of doing so are entirely underwritten by the EFL (who under the current rules will keep ALL the revenue for televising the five games).

I realise the Club cannot or does not want to step out of line, but if I ruled the world that's what I'd do.
I think this is all very unlikely - it's only 3 games to play at neutral venues, all 4 teams back in training, they're not doing that for nothing...

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think this is all very unlikely - it's only 3 games to play at neutral venues, all 4 teams back in training, they're not doing that for nothing...
5 games actually - 2 legs each + final at Wembley.

AFAIK the EFL have NOT said the semifinal games will be at neutral venues; or how and when they will be played; or anything about who will pay for all this. No decision before 8th June at the earliest.

I hope assurances have been given in private but if so they are being very coy. I'm not generally a suspicious person, the simple answer is generally the true one, but not always all this smells to me.

So at the moment the clubs are at least in theory literally doing it for nothing.

Red Devon

I very much hope the playoffs get the green light.. seeing the players back in training yesterday and looking so enthusiastic about being there must have brought a smile to a lot of fans faces.. not forgetting the positive benefit to mental health the playoffs would give to some...nothing will go ahead though if it’s deemed unsafe or too risky by the scientists.

Reactions: GJW

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

League One have certainly been prevaricating but to the best of my knowledge EFL have made it clear that despite what the Clubs may vote for “no relegation” is not on an option. In fact had that option still been on the table there would have been little or no point in either the PL or Championship Clubs gearing up for a restart later this Month.

StudentGrecian

I understand the skepticism, because the EFL are running scared of the so called 'big clubs' in League One who will miss out on promotion.
But I think promotion + play offs have always been on the agenda for them. I even seem to remember talk of 23 team PL, giving promotion but no relegation throughout the EFL. I'm fairly confident we'll see the playoffs happen, no doubt it'll cost us, but all the right noises seem to be coming from the club that they are prepared for them.
We just need the EFL to make a decision on League One asap, we all know their meeting on June 8th isn't going to find a consensus.

Boyo

If the costs are £400k and we have to pay ourselves, then that will lead to a massive disadvantage regardless promotion or not, as in essence our budget for "next" season is going to be reduced by £400k. We've always found staying in L1 a challenge and with that reduction in playing budget it wold surely lead to relegation. In L2 the reduction in playing budget would leave us less competitive.

It's ridiculous to continue surely?

Banksy

It’s what I’ve thought for quite a while Boyo , and on top of it our friends down the road get a free ticket.
Having read too about the infighting going on in League 1 still to be resolved , it’s obvious that the whole thing is a slung together cockup and we have to pay for an entry ticket. Unless, of course , the EFL are stumping up the money 😂 in which case you would have thought the Club would have given some indication of this.