• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Planning application for new training ground facilities

Boyo

Understandably, people never want to accept the reality when from all empirical evidence the economic reality for the next 5 years is grim - the ostrich position is more comfortable. When they're queuing for half a mile for a loaf of bread maybe it will hit home.
Interesting that many posters don't want Matt to be given a couple of hundred thou to invest in players, but are quick to dismiss/get angry about
any doubts that investing 3m at a time of severe national and international economic downturn.
The previous contractor withdrew because costs were rising. The rise in costs then were just the tip of the iceberg.
Everything will increase considerably : cost of production and installation (materials, transport salaries) will surely shoot up.
Let me repeat that I'm all for the development of C & F and it is badly needed, and of course I have no doubts about the integrity of the Trust or the contractors, but imo due to the current economic conditions we should focus on doing well in League One, which will be a money earner, not a drain or risk.
Well, season ticket sales are up, and I believe they are our highest ever numbers, so not everything is bleak.

The previous contractor withdrew, citing the change in materials/costs compared to when they originally tendered. I don't know exactly when their tender was submitted, but Trust members were balloted in October last year, so probably in August/September. The economic sh1tshow has largely happened since then, with Ukraine, energy prices, cost of living etc etc. The new contractor will have costed inclusive of that massive rise in prices and if they are starting work this month, then they'll be confident about the cost of materials. So for me, because the time between their revised tender and project start date is very small, the risk of further inflationary increases is minimal.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well, season ticket sales are up, and I believe they are our highest ever numbers, so not everything is bleak.

The previous contractor withdrew, citing the change in materials/costs compared to when they originally tendered. I don't know exactly when their tender was submitted, but Trust members were balloted in October last year, so probably in August/September. The economic sh1tshow has largely happened since then, with Ukraine, energy prices, cost of living etc etc. The new contractor will have costed inclusive of that massive rise in prices and if they are starting work this month, then they'll be confident about the cost of materials. So for me, because the time between their revised tender and project start date is very small, the risk of further inflationary increases is minimal.
Interesting post, Boyo. Don't forget about the rise in salaries/wages for the workers, too. You sound confident that everything will be ok, which is good. I still worry that despite
the contractor factoring in inflation, they might not have factored in enough. But, hey ho, what will be will be.

IndoMike

Fresh in on Devon Live... All sounds good from here...Maybe I'm worrying too much?

AndrewP

Growth plan? There isn't even a growth plan for the country. It's batten down the hatches, mate. Are you in dreamland?
Er, NO. but every business has a business PLAN for growth - or should have!....There was the "project 6000" talk - which should be achieved in league 1. Any business that doesn't plan is doomed to failure....Circumstances will change, plans will need to flex, but neverless there needs ot be a plan - and this is part of ours!

Boyo

Interesting post, Boyo. Don't forget about the rise in salaries/wages for the workers, too. You sound confident that everything will be ok, which is good. I still worry that despite
the contractor factoring in inflation, they might not have factored in enough. But, hey ho, what will be will be.
If everyone's wages/salary were increasing at a proportionate rate to other costs, then the crisis wouldn't really be a crises. The reality is that most people's pay is stagnant, or increasing at at a level that is significantly lower than inflation. Therefore I don't see that cost as being significant.

ExmouthMart

It’s all underpinned by assumptions based on this and that and The Managers prediction (this was originally stated last October) that transfer income would bring in considerably more than £1m across at the time I think four transfer windows…..
You can say what you like and put whatever spin you want on it but there is a finite amount of actual money and it’s already taking at least another £778,000. That puts real pressure on our number one source of income. Player sales.
All the present and past members of The Trust Committee can say what they like but it’s a massive financial gamble when you don’t have deep pockets. It’s all very well living the dream but you have to pay for it. It’s also a lot easier when it’s not your money and your only making decisions on behalf of the ‘owners’.
If we sell Key for £2m up front no worries then but if we don’t……..

Boyo

It’s all underpinned by assumptions based on this and that and The Managers prediction (this was originally stated last October) that transfer income would bring in considerably more than £1m across at the time I think four transfer windows…..
You can say what you like and put whatever spin you want on it but there is a finite amount of actual money and it’s already taking at least another £778,000. That puts real pressure on our number one source of income. Player sales.
All the present and past members of The Trust Committee can say what they like but it’s a massive financial gamble when you don’t have deep pockets. It’s all very well living the dream but you have to pay for it. It’s also a lot easier when it’s not your money and your only making decisions on behalf of the ‘owners’.
If we sell Key for £2m up front no worries then but if we don’t……..
The Trust is providing the finances to bridge the gap, in form of a loan. So the Club (without further windfall income) would be in debt, but the Trust is never going to force the club into a sticky corner. We also have the increased revenue from the fantastic finale to our season (primarily increased crowds), additional revenue from TV money by virtue of being in L1, extra season ticket income, increase in ticket prices and likely increased attendances next season. That's not to mention any extra income from Watkins, Ampadu or any of our current assets over the next FOUR transfer windows. Some may argue that we should be spending all this extra money on players wages. I'd disagree. Some should, absolutely, but this project (and maintaining our Academy at Cat 3 status) is too important.

iscalad

Fresh in on Devon Live... All sounds good from here...Maybe I'm worrying too much?
Now he gets it. About time.😀

IndoMike

Er, NO. but every business has a business PLAN for growth - or should have!....There was the "project 6000" talk - which should be achieved in league 1. Any business that doesn't plan is doomed to failure....Circumstances will change, plans will need to flex, but neverless there needs ot be a plan - and this is part of ours!
You're right. There should be a plan.
Regarding Project 6000 : what's that? When was it started?
Obviously promotion should help achieve that, but if we hadn't gotten promotion, what exactly was Project 6000? What did it entail?
Were we expecting 6000 crowds average if we'd stayed in L2?

ECFC89

Understandably, people never want to accept the reality when from all empirical evidence the economic reality for the next 5 years is grim - the ostrich position is more comfortable. When they're queuing for half a mile for a loaf of bread maybe it will hit home.
Interesting that many posters don't want Matt to be given a couple of hundred thou to invest in players, but are quick to dismiss/get angry about
any doubts that investing 3m at a time of severe national and international economic downturn.
The previous contractor withdrew because costs were rising. The rise in costs then were just the tip of the iceberg.
Everything will increase considerably : cost of production and installation (materials, transport salaries) will surely shoot up.
Let me repeat that I'm all for the development of C & F and it is badly needed, and of course I have no doubts about the integrity of the Trust or the contractors, but imo due to the current economic conditions we should focus on doing well in League One, which will be a money earner, not a drain or risk.
Probably why people think you're over reacting.