• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Planning application for new training ground facilities

AndrewP

There's no question to be answered as to whether this should go ahead - it's a resounding yes. We cannot continue on any growth plan with the delapidated, inadequate facilities we currently have. It's not just about about our ability to compete with players in an increasingly competitive market - it's a health and safety issue down there!. They need replacing, simple as!. There are very turbulaent times coming, if we wait it will never get done and we will never progress on or off the filed, or arguably compete at all at our current level. We went witht he cheaper option last time, and look where that got us....Had we gone with this company first off we would be building now!..But then people would of critised for not going with the cheapest option!!.

Get the darn thing built!.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's no question to be answered as to whether this should go ahead - it's a resounding yes. We cannot continue on any growth plan with the delapidated, inadequate facilities we currently have. It's not just about about our ability to compete with players in an increasingly competitive market - it's a health and safety issue down there!. They need replacing, simple as!. There are very turbulaent times coming, if we wait it will never get done and we will never progress on or off the filed, or arguably compete at all at our current level. We went witht he cheaper option last time, and look where that got us....Had we gone with this company first off we would be building now!..But then people would of critised for not going with the cheapest option!!.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I suspect the club were banking on having sold another player this season to keep the cash flow up, but it sounds like it's manageable and been costed sensibly.
The end of that last sentence is something I never thought I'd say in relation to Exeter City!

DawlishBouy

I'm inclined to agree with you. I suspect the club were banking on having sold another player this season to keep the cash flow up, but it sounds like it's manageable and been costed sensibly.
The end of that last sentence is something I never thought I'd say in relation to Exeter City!
£150k to come from Villa staying up.
Venezia have only got one game left for Ampadu to play. Maybe City have had a heads up about the size of the loan fee and our 20% cut.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just get it done. No point in stalling. The people who say we should wait will be the first ones to complain if its more expensive next year.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, no, a thousand times no. If it doesn't happen now it never will.

The company now being employed has done similar work for both Bournemouth and Wolves. I would imagine they, like us, would have investigated the viability of the company and their ability to see projects through to completion. Everything in life has a risk.

I predict this will happen, it will be completed on time and within the new budget and everyone will be saying "great job". Next year it would have cost 10-15% more.
OK Pete. I was jus raising issues for discussion. If your prediction is correct, then that's great. I agree 1000% pc about improving
the C & F : it's just the timing that I was thinking about. I have learned in my life that whatever can go wrong will usually go wrong. Positive thinking is a great attitude to have, but is not a scientific guarantee. I tend to agree with Alistair - as above - I believe things are going to get a lot worse economically in all countries before they get better. Having lived through the Asian economic crisis of the late 1990's I know how bad things can get. I'm not a doom- spreader, Pete - jut a realist.

IndoMike

Just get it done. No point in stalling. The people who say we should wait will be the first ones to complain if its more expensive next year.
Who says?

IndoMike

Growth plan? There isn't even a growth plan for the country. It's batten down the hatches, mate. Are you in dreamland?

Antony Moxey

jut a realist.
In your eyes.

IndoMike

Too many on here are completely underestimating the force of the economic sh!tstorm that this country is in at present and which is going to get a whole lot worse.

Sometimes being “risk averse” is more appropriate than gung-ho.
Understandably, people never want to accept the reality when from all empirical evidence the economic reality for the next 5 years is grim - the ostrich position is more comfortable. When they're queuing for half a mile for a loaf of bread maybe it will hit home.
Interesting that many posters don't want Matt to be given a couple of hundred thou to invest in players, but are quick to dismiss/get angry about
any doubts that investing 3m at a time of severe national and international economic downturn.
The previous contractor withdrew because costs were rising. The rise in costs then were just the tip of the iceberg.
Everything will increase considerably : cost of production and installation (materials, transport salaries) will surely shoot up.
Let me repeat that I'm all for the development of C & F and it is badly needed, and of course I have no doubts about the integrity of the Trust or the contractors, but imo due to the current economic conditions we should focus on doing well in League One, which will be a money earner, not a drain or risk.

older-codger

Nick Hawker's latest comment as in Devon Live indicates
“Our project team have worked hard to drive down the cost and there is a reduction from Modulek’s original tender. Importantly, we have retained all the features of the original plans.”

Am I reading this right that the second lowest tender was at least £800,000 above the previously accepted one? Did this not flash some warning lights?