• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Planning application for new training ground facilities

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Full credit to the club and trust for continuing with the project despite the big increase in costs. The easy decision would be to sit tight however that would send out all the wrong messages and the liklihood is that any further delay would have seen costs escalate further. When do costs ever go back down to where they were? Building materials, labour and with inflation seemingly continuing on an upward spiral well done to all involved on getting on with it!

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Depends on the status of the company. If they’re not a limited company then you can pursue the owners.
Both companies in question have limited liability

IndoMike

Pending

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Full credit to the club and trust for continuing with the project despite the big increase in costs. The easy decision would be to sit tight however that would send out all the wrong messages and the liklihood is that any further delay would have seen costs escalate further. When do costs ever go back down to where they were? Building materials, labour and with inflation seemingly continuing on an upward spiral well done to all involved on getting on with it!
While I agree with this, I just hope the extra costs won't impact on our playing budget and our ability to be competitive in League One. It would be very convenient if Chelsea's new owner decided this was a good time to have a clear-out and sell Ethan.

IndoMike

With extremely dark economic clouds closing in, I must say I don't feel comfortable about this project going ahead right now.
Contractors can go bust; inflation can result in the project going way over budget. We've already had our fingers burnt once, although I assume
we have received some form of compensation for the losses incurred.
Unless the club has cast-iron guarantees that this project will be completed in a timely manner, on budget, and that contractors have sufficient assets to pay compensation
if they cannot fulfil their contractual responsibilities, then I agree with Alistair that it might be better to wait.
Everyone would love a new, state of the art building complex for C & F and I know it is sorely needed. And it's not about ill-intentions or incompetence. It's purely about the risk element
involved in starting what for City is a financially massive investment at a very fragile time.

Avening Posse

Are Performance Bonds required from building contractors still asked for or have they fallen by the wayside over the last few years in the UK. They were pretty standard for resolving issues surrounding assets or lack of when I was involved in this kind of thing?

Antony Moxey

With extremely dark economic clouds closing in, I must say I don't feel comfortable about this project going ahead right now.
Contractors can go bust; inflation can result in the project going way over budget. We've already had our fingers burnt once, although I assume
Unless the club has cast-iron guarantees that this project will be completed in a timely manner, on budget, and that contractors have sufficient assets to pay compensation
if they cannot fulfil their contractual responsibilities, then I agree with Alistair that it might be better to wait.
Everyone would love a new, state of the art building complex for C & F and I know it is sorely needed. And it's not about ill-intentions or incompetence. It's purely about the risk element
involved in starting what for City is a financially massive investment at a very fragile time.
If everyone adopted your risk aversion, nothing would ever get done ever. No-one can give cast iron guarantees, contractors have gone bust since the dawn of time. Having a contractor withdraw before a spade's touched the ground is hardly having our fingers burnt, and on top of all that I might suggest with club finances seemingly doing well through on and off field successes then now is exactly the time to proceed with the project. Global finances are unlikely to improve any time soon so I would suggest the longer we delay the more expensive it'll get - even now locally we've seen material costs pretty much double over the last twelve months, perhaps if we don't move forward now (which we're often accused of not doing - how many posts do you see here and on other platforms accusing the club of lacking ambition) we'll never get a better and more cost effective chance.

Pete Martin (CTID)

No, no, a thousand times no. If it doesn't happen now it never will.

The company now being employed has done similar work for both Bournemouth and Wolves. I would imagine they, like us, would have investigated the viability of the company and their ability to see projects through to completion. Everything in life has a risk.

I predict this will happen, it will be completed on time and within the new budget and everyone will be saying "great job". Next year it would have cost 10-15% more.

cambmike

Definitely need to go ahead. Clear message to Matt Taylor and any future managers and players that we are on the up and City is the place to come to forward their careers.

Alistair20000

Too many on here are completely underestimating the force of the economic sh!tstorm that this country is in at present and which is going to get a whole lot worse.

Sometimes being “risk averse” is more appropriate than gung-ho.