• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Planning application for new training ground facilities

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not 100% but i think they mean to "accommodate" the 1st team and Acadamy in terms people not sleeping over but to house more people like in the Gym,Classroom etc insted of having to take turns or wait?
Ohhhhh ok

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
That looks great, looks like the Watkins money is getting put to good use!
Maybe one of the buildings should be called "The Watkins Building" so a then England player called Ollie can open it ?
UTC

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good to see it has a corner free kick and penalty practice area as well :)

Red Nose

These plans and the proposed facilities look fantastic. I played for the various ECFC youth teams in the early to mid 90's and I thought at the time the facilities were antiquated.

This is much needed investment, but I am curious to know the cost, which presumably will not be cheap. I note in the (terribly written) DevonLive article that there may be access to grants and funding, which would require planning permission to be in place.

Reactions: WXF

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good to see it has a corner free kick and penalty practice area as well :)
Wot??? No throw in practice area!! Farce

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can I suggest that all Grecians living in East Devon area register their support for the planning application ? UTC

Matt Phillips

That looks great, looks like the Watkins money is getting put to good use!
Or maybe not...

“In a situation where Exeter City struggles to even meet the upkeep costs of a building, which was constructed almost 50 years ago, any significant improvements to the facilities at the cliff Hill training ground will inevitably be achieved only through grants and funding, a prerequisite of which is evidence of planning approval."

I know that a couple of years ago there were early plans for a modular built facility, and that was still in excess of £1m. This looks more advance, so would imagine a sizeable cost. "Project Big Picture" specifically mentioned infrastructure funding for EFL clubs as part of the plan. Maybe there's a view that something similar is still likely...

Grecian Max

Is transfer fees not funding?

malcolms

Great investment, money spent on the youth is money in the bank.
It can be, but we need to find some way of making sure the ones that have 'real' value make a commitment that allows us to realise that 'real' value...

jimbo-gould

Love the club spending money this way. I share the temptation that others probably have in regards to spending on the first team for short term gain, but this is a better investment in my opinion.