• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Planning application for new training ground facilities

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
There may be an option for us to renew the lease after 25 years and/or compensation for improvements made such as the current building.

There may on the other hand be no such provisions and/or a requirement to remove the new building.

Does anyone know the terms of the lease ?
That seems to be the key question.
We also do not know if the lease is for 25 years at the request of the Hill family or of City.
If the lease payment is very inexpensive then I think we should be very grateful to the Hill family. After all, nobody is forcing City to lease the land.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well according to the FT the average length of a commercial lease is 2 years, 3 months, which would suggest that the vast majority are considerably less than 25 years. You're tallking about buying a commercial property with a leasehold. The Cliff Hill is land that we rent, with our own infrastructure on top.
Leases often get assigned midway through a longer term lease. It is these assignments that are often for a shorter term.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Quite, as a former redevelopment capital accountant for Plymouth City Council I can confirm that the whole of the Plymouth city centre redeveloped properties (following war time destruction and CPO purchases) were given 99 year leases. Similarly, when I was on the Trust Board about 15 years ago, Exeter City Council were amenable to granting a 125 year lease on St. James Park provided we paid a very prohibitive £3m plus premium. They weren't amenable to selling the freehold!!
Considering that they (the council) bought is back from Beazer Homes for our benefit when it had been sold by a previous administration in the mid 1990s, I find it quite hard to blame them tbh.

Rosencrantz

Considering that they (the council) bought is back from Beazer Homes for our benefit when it had been sold by a previous administration in the mid 1990s, I find it quite hard to blame them tbh.
Didn't the council push us in Beazer Homes direction in the first place after putting the kibosh on the Matford plans? Not that we should have signed a deal to sell the Park to Beazer Homes before the planning permission went through anyway 🙄

Pete Martin (CTID)

Didn't the council push us in Beazer Homes direction in the first place after putting the kibosh on the Matford plans? Not that we should have signed a deal to sell the Park to Beazer Homes before the planning permission went through anyway 🙄
I worked in engineering and town planning back then and believe that the council were quite right to put the kibosh on the Matford Plans (there were actually several different ones), one of which included a supermarket as part of the development, even though, afaik, the then club management had no company lined up for a joint venture. Both plans were unworkable in planning terms at that time, particularly as no proposals had been made for measures to facilitate building on the flood prone land (which later development there did). At one point, although quickly withdrawn, there were actually draft drawings and discussions about constructing a supermarket at SJP!

dontpassback

Beazer homes,based in Bridgwater,and I did have some dealings with them years back,not an easy company to deal with,and the owner Brian beazer set up a housing company in the USA which I don’t think did too well at the time

dontpassback

I worked in engineering and town planning back then and believe that the council were quite right to put the kibosh on the Matford Plans (there were actually several different ones), one of which included a supermarket as part of the development, even though, afaik, the then club management had no company lined up for a joint venture. Both plans were unworkable in planning terms at that time, particularly as no proposals had been made for measures to facilitate building on the flood prone land (which later development there did). At one point, although quickly withdrawn, there were actually draft drawings and discussions about constructing a supermarket at SJP!
When they constructed the makro building,they trucked in loads and loads of stone to alleviate the possibility of the marsh land causing havoc.also part of that land is tidally affected by the exe estuary

Pete Martin (CTID)

When they constructed the makro building,they trucked in loads and loads of stone to alleviate the possibility of the marsh land causing havoc.also part of that land is tidally affected by the exe estuary
Not just Makro. All of the land between Yeoford Way and the A379 was raised five metres, it was an expensive process but eventually allowed the land to be developed.

Pete Martin (CTID)

What SJP would have looked like if it had been developed for housing.
SJP 1995.jpg

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
What SJP would have looked like if it had been developed for housing.
View attachment 8601
Chas would have been peed off !