• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pitch in for City !

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Any suggestions / ideas how this is achieved?
We have a BoD, a Trust Board, and a Marketing Department to come up with something. I'm sure all ideas will be welcome from "outsiders", but the aforementioned groups should have access to the necessary information to be able to propose ways to increase income.

C j phill

Difficult question considering our ownership model and a small fanbase, Raising money, Especially that large amount is not easy
This is the centre of the financial conundrum for the Club. At present, to be competitive at the upper regions of league 2 (play-offs, thereabouts) it would appear that we need broadly more than £500,000 per season additional income than we currently generate. In recent seasons, we've achieved this from players sales and add-ons, but we all know, these aren't guaranteed. It would also be great if we could get at least a couple of seasons from the very talented Academy players, hopefully in League 1, before they move on to better things and we achieve additional transfer income. So my original question, challenge remains - any good, realistic suggestions for substantial, sustained income generation?

Boyo

So my original question, challenge remains - any good, realistic suggestions for substantial, sustained income generation?
I suspect the only long term route to increased revenues would be a new stadium with facilities to generate non-football revenue. That will not be popular on here, nor do we have the cash to fund it.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think I hybrid/desso pitch is worth the cost. Once Ollie goes for 30m this summer we can afford one, but realistically it won't be until Summer 2021 that its laid, so we'll have to make do with what we've got for another season.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suspect the only long term route to increased revenues would be a new stadium with facilities to generate non-football revenue. That will not be popular on here, nor do we have the cash to fund it.
This gets debated here at least annually.

IMO there is currently no likelihood of a new stadium in Greater Exeter even of we had the money, as I suspect there are few or no feasible sites - I'm pretty sure all those identified by Drivers Jonas in their report are either already gone, too valuable for housing development, or non-starters for other reasons (e.g. access at the Exeter Arena site).

It is I suppose theoretically possible that a new site might become available if several major industries or Exeter School was to go out of business but I can't for the life of me see it. So we are talking green or brown-ish field in East Devon, with very poor ecological and carbon footprints.

And you are right, most fans would be dead against it.

The cost of expansion at SJP (double-decker stand to replace the BB, demolish the school building and erect a conference centre, small double decker stand at the away end, hospitality space in the Well Street corner) would be much less, though we might have to share with the Chiefs or perhaps Yeovil for a season.

And a miracle might happen with Notwork Rail allowing us to build over the Jungle Path.

Anyway, while more conference space might pay its way it would surely not bring in millions. And do we need a bigger football ground? This season we are averaging a little under 5,000, if we got to L1 maybe 6,000 would be realistic against effective capacity of 8,000 for high profile opponents and 8,400 if minimal separation is allowed. Sustained Championship is pie in the sky, IMO.

Positive spin

MT has said this week that the club have enquired about the possibility of a Desso pitch this would come in at around the 1 £Million mark and would last about ten years Matt believes this would represent good value.
What happens at the 10 years on at the end of its life ?
Do you have to rip it all up and incur another £1m plus inflation for another ?

AndrewP

I am no expert on grass, Clive and co I am sure are, but I am baffled how we have spent so much on the pitch with drainage etc, it's taken back to the soil at the end of most seasons and reseeded, drainage channels renovated etc...only for us to be yet again bemoaning the playing surface (very tisdale-esque) - it is the same for both sides by the way!. The only reason I can see for the issues is the volume of water it is subjected to in the winter months vs lack of sun/warmth etc stimulating the repair process of the grass after use.

I've had a few meetings in my day job at stadia, and often see a contration on wheels with lights on it going up and down the pitch. This, a groundsman told me at one Championship club, is to replicate the sun and warmth particualrly in the winter to enable grass to grow & repair. In fact, in one stadium I was in, they have to use it in the summer too as the stands & aspect are such that an area of the pitch never gets sun on it.

Should we not invest in one of these gizmo's so our pitch can have a chance at repair ?. Surely this would help?

Like I say, I'm certainly now knowledge on these matters but I have no doubt someone will know?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Less than a months wages for Eden Hazard at Chelski apparently ….. (insert sarcastic face thing)
Why are Chelsea still paying him?

Rosencrantz

I am no expert on grass, Clive and co I am sure are, but I am baffled how we have spent so much on the pitch with drainage etc, it's taken back to the soil at the end of most seasons and reseeded, drainage channels renovated etc...only for us to be yet again bemoaning the playing surface (very tisdale-esque) - it is the same for both sides by the way!. The only reason I can see for the issues is the volume of water it is subjected to in the winter months vs lack of sun/warmth etc stimulating the repair process of the grass after use.

I've had a few meetings in my day job at stadia, and often see a contration on wheels with lights on it going up and down the pitch. This, a groundsman told me at one Championship club, is to replicate the sun and warmth particualrly in the winter to enable grass to grow & repair. In fact, in one stadium I was in, they have to use it in the summer too as the stands & aspect are such that an area of the pitch never gets sun on it.

Should we not invest in one of these gizmo's so our pitch can have a chance at repair ?. Surely this would help?

Like I say, I'm certainly now knowledge on these matters but I have no doubt someone will know?
From what Matt has said it is more to do with the base of the pitch rather than the actual grass coverage.

As for the lights, maybe we can ask the D&C Police for a first choice on equipment next time they rumble a cannabis growing operation 😉.

Red Devon

What happens at the 10 years on at the end of its life ?
Do you have to rip it all up and incur another £1m plus inflation for another ?
I guess it’s all about the long term value of a far superior product.