• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Penalty!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Ian's method is probably closest to being "correct", although of course that relies on you being able to put the ball exactly where you want to, and to ignore the outside pressures involved in taking a penalty.
What do you do though when you get a second penalty im a game? I think this was the problem for Sweeney, he changed what he normally did and the penalty was saved.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
You run up slowly. If the keeper moves in either direction you should have enough skill to put it in the other direction. If he doesn't move at all you hit it hard and low to the side that best suits you. Simples.

StroudGrecian

You run up slowly. If the keeper moves in either direction you should have enough skill to put it in the other direction. If he doesn't move at all you hit it hard and low to the side that best suits you. Simples.
Astonishing they ever miss.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What do you do though when you get a second penalty im a game? I think this was the problem for Sweeney, he changed what he normally did and the penalty was saved.
Either have faith that your method is correct or give it to someone else.

I appreciate when you're 5-1 up (I think we already were?) and have two goals to your name the latter is unlikely to happen!

IndoMike

Astonishing they ever miss.
Unbelievable, Stroudy. ;)

Antony Moxey

I reckon the problem with Sweeney’s second penalty was it was for a hat trick. Probably the first of his career and unlikely to ever happen again. Had that second penalty been for his second goal of the game I reckon he’d have tucked it away nicely.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The "always do the same thing for a penalty and stick to it" method is great if you're playing in the village league and no-one knows who you are, but if you're a regular penalty taker for a league club, you can't do the same thing every single time, because people watch videos of you.

Red Devon

Was always a fan of Reuben Reid’s method. Hit it really really hard.
Got a bit lucky though...he had a couple that were saved only for the rebounds to be tucked away.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I reckon the problem with Sweeney’s second penalty was it was for a hat trick. Probably the first of his career and unlikely to ever happen again. Had that second penalty been for his second goal of the game I reckon he’d have tucked it away nicely.
Tend to agree, though I'd suggest it wasn't just that it was a hat-trick but that it was also his second penalty of the game; that being the case, he was thinking far more than he might otherwise have done about what he should do.

Red Devon

Tend to agree, though I'd suggest it wasn't just that it was a hat-trick but that it was also his second penalty of the game; that being the case, he was thinking far more than he might otherwise have done about what he should do.
It wasn’t a pressure pen though weren’t we 4:1 up at the time with a real swagger to our play that day...occasionally penalties are missed, apart from probably Collins I don’t think anyone strikes a dead ball better than Sweeney.