• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Penalty!

Stelios

You sometimes see teammates wrestling to take the ball off each other for a penalty. I wonder whether we'll end up with players trying to give the ball away to someone else (rofl)

Whilst I accept that anyone can miss a pen I do have to question the idea that some of our pros don't have the 'technique' to take a penalty. You have to kick a stationary ball from 12 yards. I think the mental side is massively important but surely the ability to kick a ball 12 yards should not be in doubt?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst I accept that anyone can miss a penalty I do have to question the idea that some of our pros don't have the 'technique' to take a penalty. You have to kick a stationary ball from 12 yards. I think the mental side is massively important but surely the ability to kick a ball 12 yards should not be in doubt?
I agree, you have to wonder how a player fails to hit the back of the net from 12 yards at a goal which is 24'x8'. These days if it were me, I would hammer the ball straight down the middle about 4'0" off the ground, level with the keepers junk. If he tried to guess where it was going and dived you've got a certain goal. If perchance he stands stock still, theres an excellent chance he'll parry the thing right back to the taker for a nifty easy follow up; What could be easier?

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
'King Hell a penalty expert as well as a goalkeeping guru. Your talents are wasted in the States Pierre

By the way do you have to be any specific height to take a penalty?

Last edited:

Stelios

Lewis Grabban (Nott Forrest) has scored 16 goals this season but missed his 4th penalty of the season today (boffin)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
'King Hell a penalty expert as well as a goalkeeping guru. Your talents are wasted in the States Pierre

By the way do you have to be any specific height to take a penalty?
Pate has been playing FIFA 18 past its sell by date.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Ben Seymour scoring one for Dorchester yesterday https://twitter.com/DorchTownFC/status/1094645474286555137/video/1

Last edited:

mustangspeed2006

It is. Pick the side of your kicking foot, my right for me. Aim just inside the post, hit with enough pace (you don't need to blast it, a good solid side foot should be enough) and keep it low. That way you're bending around the dive of the keeper and inside of the post. I always found going the other way meant you were in danger of getting the ball within the keepers reach to make sure you got it inside the post and if he did get a touch he wouldn't need as much to divert it around the post as the ball would be curving away
Yes, this is the approach I took. It's a numbers game and this was certainly the best way to success.

I was a mediocre footballer, but never missed from the spot.