• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Penalty?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
MC at Wigan tonight, Wigan player goes down in the box from what looks like a push in the back. Summariser opines: that'd be a free kick outside the box, but it's never a penalty this early in the game.

Err, what???

Oh yeah, ref waved play on, despite it being card-waiting-to-happen Gareth Barry committing the foul.

Poultice

Just a political reality Moxers, a foul is a foul in my book, the last minute yellow should have been a red with Aguerro in the clear and having a ten yard start.

The facts, refs are sh*t, commentators and analysts are are full of sh*t.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Yeah couldnt believe he only booked matey at the end when he handled on the halfway line...Aguero would of roasted him.

gotta be a red.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't yet seen the handball, but did it deny a clear goalscoring opportunity? Only there is no such red card offence for "Deliberate handball".

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I haven't yet seen the handball, but did it deny a clear goalscoring opportunity? Only there is no such red card offence for "Deliberate handball".
Last man on the halfway line , ball bounced he mis read it and it was going straight into Aguero's path who was about 30 yards infront of everyone else. deffo goalscoring opporunity.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
If he was 30 yards in front of everyone else, he'd have been offside, no? ;)

I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but from the halfway line it is impossible for any ref to really deem something a "clear goalscoring opportunity". I had this argument with a Brentford fan when watching the 2nd leg of the JPT Area Final last season. Noble fouled someone on the halfway line, the Brentford fan was up yelling that it had to be a red as he was "the last man".

"Was it a clear goalscoring opportunity?"

"No, but he was the last man, he had to go!"

"Show me where it says that in the FIFA Laws of Football."

Etc.

Just a political reality Moxers, a foul is a foul in my book, the last minute yellow should have been a red with Aguerro in the clear and having a ten yard start.

The facts, refs are sh*t, commentators and analysts are are full of sh*t.[/QUOTE]

Gary Neville analysing decisions sums this up. He has not a clue!

Poultice

"Was it a clear goalscoring opportunity?".
One on one with the keeper, a twenty to thirty yard head start with the ball travelling in the right direction, Aguerro, I'd call that about as clear an opportunity as you are gonna get.

Poultice

Not a scouse lover are ya ?

Antony Moxey

You want to see clueless, watch Jamie Redknapp, he takes it to a whole new level. Neville, surprisingly, is very good.

As for the last minute 'red', ball cleared to half way line, Aguerro turns to run but Figuero (sp?) bats the ball away. Everyone else was in the MC half, no-one (other than Fig) within twenty yards of Aguerro. If he hadn't handled Aguerro had a clear run to goal from the middle of the pitch with no-one either near him or capable of catching him. I'd say that that was a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Oh, while I'm here, just how sh*t is Gareth Barry?