• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Tisdale - Ex-Bristol Rovers Manager to Col Utd now Stevenage

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of the basic lessons of working life in any profession is that when you leave a job you should try to "shut the door quietly behind you". You never know when or why your former colleagues might be of help to you.

It does seem a shame though. No doubt sometime in the future there will be some kind of reunion of the squad from that era, but you wonder whether Tisdale would be there. All feels a bit unnecessary and easily avoided if he had behaved less arrogantly.
I take no real pleasure in saying this but I think the arrogance is in his character and was there from day one.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if this might be a case of time being a healer or just different times with the internet and fans forums/social media around. After all Terry Cooper did not leave us in the best of circumstances in his first spell.

He sold on the heart of our defence in Shaun Taylor and Richard Dryden, released good replacements in Pete Cawley and Lee Rogers and got in poor replacements before disappearing quickly to Birmingham. Also said to have a cut of transfer fees in his contract. He was also not shy in having a bit of a go at the supporters in the media when there were some poor performances around.

That is before you get to the second spell where I remember quite a concerted effort by the club and Trevor Morgan to defend him against criticism from the supporters for the on field (non) performances, also at a time of off field difficulty. Remember the Westcountry camera's being allowed in the dressing room to capture TC giving the players a (PG rated obvs) dressing down during one game to show that he still cared. Even though that could easily be seen at pointing the finger at the players.

But he is generally, and correctly, held in the highest esteem. We remember the good times rather than the more disappointing times. So is it time being a healer, or just not having the platforms at the time which we have today to keep the grievances and the debates around them going around?
There are probably a few different reasons for this but it seems to me the biggest one, at least in the last few months, is that people don't want to speak ill of the dead.

Reactions: WXF

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
There are probably a few different reasons for this but it seems to me the biggest one, at least in the last few months, is that people don't want to speak ill of the dead.
It was always the case before though.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
Which is borne out by the fact he hasn’t lasted more than five minutes any where else since. I’d genuinely be surprised if he starts next season as Stevenage manager.
I'd be genuinely surprised if he ends this season as Stevenage manager!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
For those that have missed them, here's Tizzer's presser

ExmouthMart

I take no real pleasure in saying this but I think the arrogance is in his character and was there from day one.
Aren’t all football Managers a bit arrogant to some extent?! The Manager is the one who is going to turn your team into world beaters, so needs to have an air of being a bit ‘special’. Don’t you think Taylor has it about him sometimes?! In the lightweight interviews he sometimes gets a bit sniffy if he doesn’t like the tone of the question. Like when he was asked about McArdles performance and didn’t want to talk about opposition players but eulogies Jake Taylor at every opportunity.
Tisdale just seems to get mocked for his appearance and the way he sees football. From my view point it looks like sour grapes from some of the well known figures on here. It looks like we wanted to back out of continuing to pay him under the terms of a contract we readily offered him in the first place. Looks a bit lame to say we couldn’t afford it anymore and also why didn’t the Trust/Board act much sooner if there was all this doubt about his character and ability?!

eurogrecian

For those that have missed them, here's Tizzer's presser
Even allowing for the result, he sounds pretty flat and uninspired here. Is his heart really into being a football manager any more?
Looks like we got the best out of him in the early days - which were terrific (whatever some of the anti-Tisdale obsessives on these boards might say)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Even allowing for the result, he sounds pretty flat and uninspired here. Is his heart really into being a football manager any more?
Looks like we got the best out of him in the early days - which were terrific (whatever some of the anti-Tisdale obsessives on these boards might say)
Not wishing to appear rude but IMHO your words in brackets are unnecessary and quite ridiculous. First of all I don’t consider anyone on here to be as you put it in either way “obsessive” second no one in their right mind would argue that after he joined for five seasons every season was an improvement on the previous one and to use your word were terrific.

However thereafter any reasonable individual would also acknowledge that the trend was reversed and at one time there were justifiable reasons to be concerned that he might have taken us back to where we were when he first arrived.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
From my view point it looks like sour grapes from some of the well known figures on here. It looks like we wanted to back out of continuing to pay him under the terms of a contract we readily offered him in the first place. Looks a bit lame to say we couldn’t afford it anymore and also why didn’t the Trust/Board act much sooner if there was all this doubt about his character and ability?!
I can't speak for others but no sour grapes here, as I have consistently said I had great respect for him as a person and a manager until the latter stages of his and SPs time at City. He was certainly an unusual manager in the world of football, and as Oscar Wilde would have said, he is still being talked about.

But what you post is factually incorrect.

As I and others have explained, "we" (ie the Trust membership) did not want to push Tis out, only to make his contract position fairer. It was not a case of "we couldn’t afford it anymore", simply a contract variation for which it was first necessary to issue a termination of the old one. The Trust and Trust Board had had no say in his original appointment nor later improved contract (nor should they, he was a Club employee) but the Trust's membership had the right and duty as majority shareholder to act in what it saw was the best overall interests of Exeter City. Tis was offered a different contract to replace the rolling one. As was his right, he decided to take up an opportunity elsewhere.

What is often forgotten here is that Tis was an employee, albeit the most important and highest paid one, of a business majority-owned by +/- 3,000 supporters. The owners of a company have a right to control the terms on which it employs its staff and vary those, provided they do so in a way consistent with employment law. Neither Tis nor SP had an ownership role and SP was not even an employee, he was paid as a consultant through an overseas company as was stated in the Club's annual accounts.

End of story.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't speak for others but no sour grapes here, as I have consistently said I had great respect for him as a person and a manager until the latter stages of his and SPs time at City. He was certainly an unusual manager in the world of football, and as Oscar Wilde would have said, he is still being talked about.

But what you post is factually incorrect.

As I and others have explained, "we" (ie the Trust membership) did not want to push Tis out, only to make his contract position fairer. It was not a case of "we couldn’t afford it anymore", simply a contract variation for which it was first necessary to issue a termination of the old one. The Trust and Trust Board had had no say in his original appointment nor later improved contract (nor should they, he was a Club employee) but the Trust's membership had the right and duty as majority shareholder to act in what it saw was the best overall interests of Exeter City. Tis was offered a different contract to replace the rolling one. As was his right, he decided to take up an opportunity elsewhere.

What is often forgotten here is that Tis was an employee, albeit the most important and highest paid one, of a business majority-owned by +/- 3,000 supporters. The owners of a company have a right to control the terms on which it employs its staff and vary those, provided they do so in a way consistent with employment law. Neither Tis nor SP had an ownership role and SP was not even an employee, he was paid as a consultant through an overseas company as was stated in the Club's annual accounts.

End of story.
It really should be and 🤞 hopefully it will be.