• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Morrish

Red Bill

So being hypothetical here......

So club board has 8 members, 4 of which are trust board members

The CB decide they want Paul M to continue on.. Fair play

So at the TB meeting there is a vote about keeping him on and lets say there are 10 TB members at the meeting.

The 4 TB who sit on the CB will vote yes and I guess the rest of the TB vote no which means 4 yes and 6 no...

So 6 part timers over rule the 8 CB members that include 4 TB members ...

Cracking piece of democracy that.. Just like a room of 150 people vote on Removal of Paul Tisdale Contract when we have 4000 in the trust..

In regards to Paul Morrish... How did you vote Bill and Pete....?? Just asking for transparency seeing some of the Exeweb massive voted for you.....
If i'm the Bill you're refering to, how did i vote on what? I'm not on the TB.

Red Bill

So at the TB meeting there is a vote about keeping him on and lets say there are 10 TB members at the meeting.

The 4 TB who sit on the CB will vote yes and I guess the rest of the TB vote no which means 4 yes and 6 no...

Cracking piece of democracy that.. Just like a room of 150 people vote on Removal of Paul Tisdale Contract when we have 4000 in the trust..

In regards to Paul Morrish... How did you vote Bill and Pete....?? Just asking for transparency seeing some of the Exeweb massive voted for you.....
That's some interesting number manipulation there Lez, but you can just mix two votes from two separate bodies. I'm afraid if we accept representative democracy and understand that everyone concerned is obliged to accept the result of their representatives democratic vote, the the decision actually represents the will of its 3000 members as opposed to the decision of a group of 8 people only 4 of whom have been elected by anyone. We can all play with numbers Lez!

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
If i'm the Bill you're refering to, how did i vote on what? I'm not on the TB.
I apologise I meant Doug... I think I was replying when I just finished reading a post you wrote.. I’ll edit it now

Boyo

The silence from the Trust is deafening.

Can someone tell us what happened? Please.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
This from the club AGM

Notes from the Annual General Meeting – Friday, December 8

The board of Exeter City FC wishes to place on record our sincere thanks to Paul Morrish for the huge and significant input and influence he has contributed as a the club's commercial director, facilitator and strategist over the last extremely difficult 10 years. Whilst disappointed at his wish not to stand for a further term the Board is delighted to retain his services as an Associate Director.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
So he wasn't pushed out he decided not to stand.

Red Bill

I apologise I meant Doug... I think I was replying when I just finished reading a post you wrote.. I’ll edit it now
No need to apologise Lez its not a problem, I was just confused.

Boyo

This from the club AGM

Notes from the Annual General Meeting – Friday, December 8

The board of Exeter City FC wishes to place on record our sincere thanks to Paul Morrish for the huge and significant input and influence he has contributed as a the club's commercial director, facilitator and strategist over the last extremely difficult 10 years. Whilst disappointed at his wish not to stand for a further term the Board is delighted to retain his services as an Associate Director.
Ha. So we now have two versions of the events. Was he not re-elected, or did he resign?

Maybe the Russians did it? Fake news. Alternative facts.

David Treharne

So he wasn't pushed out he decided not to stand.
The copy of the letter that I have suggests that he did wish to remain as a Director. Boyo's post 94 does seem to deserve an answer of some sort from the currently totally mute Trust Board. Don't hold your breathe.

Terryhall

To respond to Lez's hypotheticals from a general governance / best practice perspective, in my opinion:

Correct.

Hypothetical scenario so no problem with these assumptions (were we to be that bothered we could go back to the minutes to see who attended and who sent apologies, which may change these assumptions.)

No - from a governance perspective, the Trust membership elected a number of Trustees to serve on the Trust Board. Those Trust Board members then vote on matters impacting the Trust at Trust Board meetings and decisions are reached. None of the TB members are any more or less "full" or "part" time than the others.

Equally, the Trust Board members nominate 4 of the Trustees to also serve on the Club Board. That is a different role to that of the Trust Board. From a governance perspective, one aspect of the role of TB members that also serve on the CB, is to ensure that the decisions reached by democratic vote in the TB are appropriately brought to, and considered by, the CB.

Within that framework each individual is entitled to (and one could even say obliged to) stay true to their own personal moral and ethical compass; to vote on matters as they see fit based on their own understanding and interpretation of the matter at hand; and to maintain professional distance between their CB activity and TB activity in terms of ensuring the integrity of the governance model (this last part being perhaps the hardest).

I assume you are being sarcastic but yes, this is very obviously exactly how democracy works. A number of individuals are elected by the electorate to represent their interests in a decision making capacity; that electorate may from time to time also be asked to provide a direct opinion either by vote or referendum (or similar mechanism); and each member of the electorate has the option to vote or otherwise, with the majority of those that do exercise their right to vote carrying any given motion in the absence of criteria to suggest otherwise (for example, a minimum turnout threshold or similar.) I presume you are equally dismissive of the Brexit referendum in which many did not vote, the Scottish devolution referendum in which many did not vote, and the principle of electing MPs to parliament to represent the interests of their constituency. The scale and situation for the Trust are very different - the democratic principles are exactly the same.

In regards to Paul Morrish... How did you vote Doug and Pete....?? Just asking for transparency seeing some of the Exeweb massive voted for you.....
Should anyone wish to voluntarily disclose how they voted on a given issue, they could of course choose to do so. However it is in my opinion hugely unfair to expect anyone to disclose that in the public domain, whether or not they were voted for "by Exeweb". It is a very personal decision and that is exactly how it should remain.