• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Jones

Grecian1987

I am a big Jonesy fan, but...

He has been here longer than any player or the management team. How does he still feel nervous?

We need Matt Taylor back.

Good to see some balance to this 'debate', mainly from Ant Moxey.

I just can't understand why so many people (on here and on the Bank) take so much pleasure in denouncing Jones. He's had a terrible game and his form recently is below his usual standards, I agree. But this is a young lad who has been with us for many years, we've watched him develop into an excellent keeper and the majority of us voted him POTY season before last. Wouldn't you prefer to see him turn it around and get back to his best?

Perhaps Artur should be given a chance now, perhaps not. What annoys me is that it seems many people would get satisfaction just from seeing our keeper dropped.

axred

I am a big Jonesy fan, but...

He has been here longer than any player or the management team. How does he still feel nervous?

We need Matt Taylor back.
Matt Taylor is probably the better keeper so good shout

ecfctis

Bound to be aren't I? So it doesn't matter that our defence is sh*te, lets all give Jonesy a roasting and forget about them f*cking it up righteously yesterday. Like I said, all four goals and both penalties should have been dealt with before Jones needed to be involved, yet he's the one taking all the stick.

On the thread about players' ratings, someone even gave Billy Jones an 8, and this when three of the goals came from his side of the pitch. How a defender in a team that concedes four plus two penalties can get an 8 is beyond me, although it seems many on here are just after a scapegoat rather than a real solution.
Yesterdays poor performance was as much to do with Jones as it was our defending. Both were not good enough for L1. BUT if Jones was the sort of GK that commanded his area with a degree of confidence, and extended the sense of security to the defenders then he would become a better keeper and our defence would have a better feeling of security. Jonesy's demonstration of how not to deal with crosses into the 6 yard box was abysmal, definitely not appropriate from a professional keeper with many years experience.
Imho Paul Jones needs a rest and his confidence building up again, but when you've had many seasons in the game it is not the sort of thing you would expect to have to happen.

grecianstew

agreed, the defence was rubbish, didnt do their jobs etc etc

but any half decent keeper would have saved their defence and then given them a bollocking for their mistakes, abit like peter schmeichel used to..

jones is not capable of either at the moment. he wasnt helped by his defence, but he is solely at fault for the goals yesterday.
You tell us "any half decent keeper" would have coped, but then have to choose possibly the best there has ever been as evidence. Jones is a 3rd division keeper behind a 3rd Division defence, Yesterday they all showed it.

To say that Jones was "solely" to blame is ludicrous but Ant Moxey has dealt with this so well i will not comment further.

Last edited:

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
if Jones was the sort of GK that commanded his area with a degree of confidence, and extended the sense of security to the defenders then he would become a better keeper and our defence would have a better feeling of security. .
That's the nub of it. You can function as a keeper without commanding your box, you can get by with some spectacular shot stopping, but you'll never be a fully competent goalkeeper until you can boss teh penalty area.

All this talk of Jonah being a young player still developing...he's had time enough to develop this aspect of the job but he's yet to indicate that he's even started doing it.

The inevitable and deeply regrettable conclusion is that he'll never be the fully rounded keeper we need to progress further

Alistair20000

Not denying he didn't have his best game ever, but the main reason for defending him is that I think he's being singled out here when the defence seem to be getting off scot free. As I said regarding the second penalty, Troy could have headed it anywhere, yet he headed it straight to their attacker's feet, then compounded the error by upending him for a penalty!

Look at Billy Jones diving in on McDonald and missing by a country mile. McDonald steps sideways and all of a sudden he's in one on one with not a single defender within ten yards of him inside the penalty area for their fourth goal.

Who was defending the far post for their second, who let the guy nod it back unchallenged and was Jones the only City player in the four surrounding Alexander allowed to make a challenge instead of letting him bundle the ball home.

How about the third goal? How many defenders got beaten before Jones had to come rushing out to meet their attacker? The guy beat him by inches, but why was it allowed to get to that in the first place?

Their first goal - who was on the edge of the box offering no challenge to their goalscorer?

Like I say, it was far from Jones' best game in a City shirt, but lets have a bit of balance here and look at how each of those goals came about - every single one of them, and the two penalties, should have been dealt with a long time before Jones needed to be involved.
There was a temptation to blame P Jones for three of the goals when watching the game yesterday but the brief BBC "highlights" put matters in a different light and Ant's summary above makes a lot of good points. Still cannot work out why PJ made no attempt to save the first header but again their player was given a free header.

Red the Paper

Banned
All this talk of Jonah being a young player still developing...he's had time enough to develop this aspect of the job but he's yet to indicate that he's even started doing it.
Totally agree. Youth is no excuse. If you are picked and paid you are expected to produce the goods whatever the age.

Defence was sh*te agreed, Jones is an integral part of the defence. Whilst people say he is a good shot stopper he failed to stop 4 shots. He looks like a little boy lost at times, the majority in the crowd aren't condident in him and thats is clear when he is clapped when he makes a standard kicked clearance.

Not sure the back four trust him at all. Jones wasn't to blame for the defeat yesterday, but he didn't help us win it either.

crocks

Jones is like a rabbit in the headlights. He has to be taken out of the firing line.

It is clear the defence have little confidence in him....witness Tullys rant at him in the first half when a ball came into the 6 yard box and Jones stood their rooted to the spot. Luckily, Tulls got up and headed it away at the last minute.

And yes, the defence collectively had a bit of a shocker....probably the poorest game that I have seen Duffy play. But it doesnt help their confidence when they know there is a dodgy keeper behind them.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I can only go by the highlights....and id say 3 of the goals could go down as jonesys fault....

And Troy stay on your bloody feet.