• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Parole

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not seen about that sentence for the 17 year old but yes, it does seem to be too lenient (without knowing the context and background to the offence and sentence). Hi

I agree there is something that needs to be done within the prison system. I've seen first hand how radical Islamists carry out a brainwashing of those who are easily manipulated - when I worked flipping burgers in my youth one of my colleagues was once such brainwashed soul, he had one topic of conversation. The 6-hour shifts with him used to fly by. But one by one I saw weak-willed locals gradually fall into the trap and "revert" - all of them people who weren't really getting on well in life, perhaps they were on benefits or generally quite low in the food chain. Radical Islam was for them a way of having a bit more meaning in their lives.

Similarly the prison population may be searching for a way out of their criminality, and radical Islam fills a void for them. This needs to be monitored.

ERROR
Not seen about that sentence for the 17 year old but yes, it does seem to be too lenient (without knowing the context and background to the offence and sentence).

I agree there is something that needs to be done within the prison system. I've seen first hand how radical Islamists carry out a brainwashing of those who are easily manipulated - when I worked flipping burgers in my youth one of my colleagues was once such brainwashed soul, he had one topic of conversation. The 6-hour shifts with him used to fly by. But one by one I saw weak-willed locals gradually fall into the trap and "revert" - all of them people who weren't really getting on well in life, perhaps they were on benefits or generally quite low in the food chain. Radical Islam was for them a way of having a bit more meaning in their lives.

Similarly the prison population may be searching for a way out of their criminality, and radical Islam fills a void for them. This needs to be monitored.
Regarding your last sentence, a combination of brainwashing, nothing to lose-ism, paranoia (being of a religion which you know is not well- received), personal reasons et al can be causes.
Terrorists come in many shapes and sizes : a person who stalks a famous film star or politician (for example) for years on end is a terrorist, and the police seemingly can do nothing about it. There have been fanatical Christians for example in the US (Timothy Vey, KKK). And thousands of Catholic priests who terrorised those under their care. Many examples of terrorism carried out by people of many different backgrounds.
But Western people usually focus on Islamic terrorism and that is understandable. I can only repeat that if there is solid evidence that someone is spreading terrorist propaganda he should be deported. If imprisoned for an act of terror he should be given the harshest sentence and then deported on final release . Obviously as a civilized society we should attempt to rehab, but if you rehab and then turn the person out onto the street with little likelihood of earning a decent living the chances of successful rehab are not great

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Radical Islam was for them a way of having a bit more meaning in their lives.

Im not sure radical Islam has much to do inmates trying to put themselves straight. I think it's more to do with shagging and totty. Most of these folk haven't ever had sex or if they have they probably don't know who it was with. Now someone comes along and promises them eternal life WITH a whole bunch of virgins. BINGO! Christianity missed a blimmin trick there.😎

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Im not sure radical Islam has much to do inmates trying to put themselves straight. I think it's more to do with shagging and totty. Most of these folk haven't ever had sex or if they have they probably don't know who it was with. Now someone comes along and promises them eternal life WITH a whole bunch of virgins. BINGO! Christianity missed a blimmin trick there.😎
Ha, no doubt true, although my "reverted" burger flipping colleague was apparently a hard drinking womaniser before the brainwashing occurred!