• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Padraig Amond in on a season loan

AndrewP

If podge is out of contract now, we should get him in. May not be able to play every game, in fact definitiely not, but one hell of a back up and a good guy to have around..... "sign him up"!

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nicky Ajose was named as a coach on the team sheet of the recent Devon Bowl final.

I guess someone who was there might confirm if he was.

Podge has been a good loan signing this season. Someone who has added experience and been a great squad member and just a great presence around the ground with the fans as well. He will obviously have a decision to make, if he hasn't already, about playing on or looking to the future. Whatever he decides and what options open up wherever they may be for him I hope he does well.

arthur

Nicky Ajose was named as a coach on the team sheet of the recent Devon Bowl final.

Podge has been a good loan signing this season. Someone who has added experience and been a great squad member and just a great presence around the ground with the fans as well. He will obviously have a decision to make, if he hasn't already, about playing on or looking to the future. Whatever he decides and what options open up wherever they may be for him I hope he does well.
Reading that earlier post it seems his most likely destination is Ireland

Colesman Ballz

Reading that earlier post it seems his most likely destination is Ireland
But that was before he had sampled the delights that Glorious Devon has to offer ! :p

older-codger

He was apparently approached to return to the Irish League with Sligo in January, was on the point of signing and was "devastated" when it fell through. Maybe he will do that now. His comment in Independent.ie is “I’d never say anything about where I want to finish my career because you just don’t know in football. You can have the greatest plan ever and it can all fall apart. We’re just seeing what happens now.”

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster

Ajose was most definitely coaching at the Devon Bowl game. I wonder if he is eligible to apply for the U18 Lead Coach role recently advertised by the club.

andrew p long

Where is Ajose now? No mention of him in ages. If he has left now, is anyone else filling that role?

I could see Podge doing a pretty decent job as a coach. Great personality + lots of experience. He could also be a standby striker on the bench for a further year or two.

Perhaps?
Interesting dilemma Combining academy coaching with playing isn't feasible IMHO - the academy side have a game at home at 11am on a Saturday when the first team are playing away up country at 3pm. Can't be in both places at once. Don't know whether we have a vacancy for a player who also coaches with the first team in the Scott Brown mould.

IndoMike

Very easy to paint Ajose as some kind of 'bad guy' but I think he deserves some credit for sticking around and getting involved in our youth set-up.

It would have been very easy for him to slate the club when he was released at the end of last season and, moreover, I'm sure he could, at the very least, got a contract at a National League club.

It seems, however, he's realised his injury problems mean he will struggle to play week in, week out and so he's opted to pursue a career in coaching. IMO it's to his credit that he's been been prepared to remain at Exeter, where he didn't always get the best press, and work his way up through the coaching ranks when it would probably have been much easier to start again somewhere else.
For some reason the club didn't really fill the fans in with what was going on with Ajose : it was always hanging. And then Matt said that Ajose wasn't the kind of forward we needed (or words to that effect) and later if I remember correctly Matt said it was due to the playing surface at the C & F. The fact is that Ajose had a recent history of serious injury trouble when we signed him. Speculation arose as to why Ajose was always out and the reply was a bit fuzzy.

ExmouthMart

This thread is about a quality player who made a contribution to a great season. Nicky Ajose will go down as one of biggest wastes of a signing we have ever made and contributed nothing……. Taylor was restrained in his response about him and says he doesn’t deal with him directly. Put any sort of spin on it you like but Taylor preferred Seymour to him. That says everything.

Colesman Ballz

This is the Podge thread FFS !