• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Padraig Amond in on a season loan

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Podge was the right striker for the situation we were in today. Sounded like we were creating enough chances but just needed that penalty box experience that Podge has made a career out of along with his hard running.

Next season will be different if we do indeed go up. We will have Sam and Jevani with Sonny possibly waiting in the wings but maybe out on loan again. The last time we went up we got in Barry Corr and a young James Norwood to go with what we had. Harley ended up top scorer although Stanno was probably having his best season for us before his illness came. We stayed up on the last day of course.

The following season Nardiello, O'Flynn and Cureton came in and we looked like a L1 outfit up front. Curo obviously top scoring but being joined in double figures by Logie, Nards and Harley. Getting the right quality up front in depth is an area we can look to improve with this squad.
Unless players leave, goalkeeper and up front look like the only positions we really need to strengthen. And even if players do move onwards and upwards we have promising youngsters who could be pushing for first-team opportunities next season in defence, midfield and out wide.

SaintJames

What price his goal today 😆
A very valuable goal today. However, the points I made with just this one goal since January kinda proves the point I was making that I believe his wages may have been better utilised getting another striker in on loan in the New Year

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loved Podge's 'that's so disrespectful' sotto voce response to Jed's interview question about 'rolling back the years'. Can understand how MT thinks Podge will make not only a top notch coach but also manager.

Hasn't played so much this season mainly because our system wants/needs a Sam/Oz style centre forward rather than Podge/Kieran (who both have strong attributes, but different playing styles).

Next season he'd not get enough game time to justify a full playing contract. And I don't think a player coach role usually works well. Next season Podge can earn more being a player elsewhere than as a coach for us. A season or two later however...

Bridgy 81

Loved Podge's 'that's so disrespectful' sotto voce response to Jed's interview question about 'rolling back the years'. Can understand how MT thinks Podge will make not only a top notch coach but also manager.

Hasn't played so much this season mainly because our system wants/needs a Sam/Oz style centre forward rather than Podge/Kieran (who both have strong attributes, but different playing styles).

Next season he'd not get enough game time to justify a full playing contract. And I don't think a player coach role usually works well. Next season Podge can earn more being a player elsewhere than as a coach for us. A season or two later however...
I’ve just looked his details up.
Seems like he’s on 199 career goals and it’s his 34th birthday on Friday.
Be nice to celebrate that with another winner to make it 200.

andrew p long

Wiki has 15 April for his birthday but both Newport County and Soccerbase had him turning 34 on 15 January.

Matt Russell

If you're going to roll back the years, you've got to start somewhere!

Grecian Max

Wiki has 15 April for his birthday but both Newport County and Soccerbase had him turning 34 on 15 January.

Depressing that the first thing I think is "34, old veteran hang up the boots" in football context, but then remember I'm 35 😭

Bridgy 81

Perhaps he’s got 2 birthdays like the Queen and she hasn’t scored almost 200 career goals.

DawlishBouy

Wikipedia hasn’t added on the goal he scored against Carlisle yet. So yesterday’s was the 200th first team goal of his career.

Bridgy 81

Wikipedia hasn’t added on the goal he scored against Carlisle yet. So yesterday’s was the 200th first team goal of his career.
So he already has 200 goals and it’s not his birthday on Friday.
Never mind he probably won’t play anyway!