• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Padraig Amond in on a season loan

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
2 goals in 13 league games. Questionable decision to keep him after Janaury I think?
Totally agree, he’s had some good chances to score goals but hasn’t taken them…time has probably caught up with him which Newport could see hence why he became available to loan.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The thing is we don't actually know what he does behind the scenes, how important he is to morale. He has got his badges and is looking to move into coaching, as can be seen on Twitter he is popular among the players and personally I love his attitude and how he has adopted this club. However his goal return quoted as a number against appearances isn't that great, but then big Sam took his time to start scoring within our system and is doing so again after his injury.

I would love to see Podge back again next season as a player/coach and also with responsibility for one of the youth teams so that he san share his knowledge and experience among our younger players, is Nicky Ajose still suspended by the academy?

scottus86

Amond has been more affective when he's come on for the last 20 minutes or so when we are winning. He just offers some experience and knows how to manage a game and helps us see the game out.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So pleased for Podge to get the goal today. He hasn't played as much as he would have liked this season and has struggled to have an impact when he has but everything we hear suggests he has been a model pro and a massively positive influence on the rest of the squad.

denzel

He's very likeable but I dont concur when you say he has been good back up. Few goals and fewer assists for a player with a very good pedigree which comes with the requisite wedge of wages. I think we could have used that money to better effect or to provide a better contract to one of our youngsters? We dont have an inexhaustable budget despite him being good behind the scenes
What price his goal today 😆

Bridgy 81

So pleased for Podge to get the goal today. He hasn't played as much as he would have liked this season and has struggled to have an impact when he has but everything we hear suggests he has been a model pro and a massively positive influence on the rest of the squad.
On the basis we need 3 new strikers in the summer (to play with and/or complement Sam), how about one of them being Podge, on a one year contract, with some forwards coaching responsibilities?
With 2 other recruits who are younger, higher energy players, coupled with goals from Tim, MJ, Jevani and the back boys at set pieces, we could be all set attacking-wise for League One.

STURTZ

Expect the usual over reaction when somebody scores and the inevitable hero worship and insistence that the scorer is the answer to our goal scoring problems. Amond is an experienced striker who is likely to find the net on occasions and especially if he's brought on with a short period of time left. But he's not the answer to our striker problems nor should he be offered a contract on the strength of that one opportunist strike. I'm sure we will be looking at new strikers to back up Nombe in our league 1 season and one will be an experienced goalscorer, but it won't be Amond, he's too old.
As it goes, what we've got is enough for our purposes until the end of the season give them all the support we can.

Last edited:

Bridgy 81

Expect the usual over reaction when somebody scores and the inevitable hero worship and insistence that the scorer is the answer to our goal scoring problems. Amond is an experienced striker who is likely to find the net on occasions and especially if he's brought on with a short period of time left. But he's not the answer to our striker problems nor should he be offered a contract on the strength of that one opportunist strike. I'm sure we will be looking at new strikers to back up Nombe in our league 1 season and one will be an experienced goalscorer, but it won't be Amond, he's too old.
As it goes, what we've got is enough for our purposes until the end of the season give them all the support we can.
That’s me told then.

Rosencrantz

Podge was the right striker for the situation we were in today. Sounded like we were creating enough chances but just needed that penalty box experience that Podge has made a career out of along with his hard running.

Next season will be different if we do indeed go up. We will have Sam and Jevani with Sonny possibly waiting in the wings but maybe out on loan again. The last time we went up we got in Barry Corr and a young James Norwood to go with what we had. Harley ended up top scorer although Stanno was probably having his best season for us before his illness came. We stayed up on the last day of course.

The following season Nardiello, O'Flynn and Cureton came in and we looked like a L1 outfit up front. Curo obviously top scoring but being joined in double figures by Logie, Nards and Harley. Getting the right quality up front in depth is an area we can look to improve with this squad.

Pobbop

Yeah agree with all this, but stressing on the fact that they are our strikers until the end of the season, and every goal is memorable and makes them part of our history.

Think from what I hear Podge will be looking to go into coaching, so may even want to drop a League, so he can be player-coach, but who cares. Love him this weekend, and another couple like that, and he will be remembered like Dicky Young or Ben Watson, as a cult hero. Same for Zanzala and Phillips, oh and it won't hurt their futures being part of a Promotion side.