• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Our frontline, who plays - change of formation?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
So within 24hrs we've from having Nombe as the only recognised senior CF with Cox as back up to suddenly having a lot more options.

Obviously unlikely to see much change tomorrow, but going forward how is this going to play out? Do we change our formation a bit? Where does Jevani play now - in the Dieng role with Harper and Archie behind?

It's pretty exciting. Stanno Jr should be quality at this level but Smith is also exactly what we've been crying out for since Bowman left - and possibly better.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m sure I read that Stansfield had been playing on the left of a front 3 so far this season? Could be an option but

I suspect Taylor will want to keep Brown playing in behind either one player, or if we’re on the front foot at home, you may see him playing behind a combo of either Nombe and Smith or Nombe and Stanno?

It’s inevitable that Nombe will be rested so having Brown sliding balls through to Stansfield could be quite a common sight too.

milts

Nombe and Stansfield up front with Brown in the 10 role.

Archie and Harper in midfield.

Slightly harsh on Kite but with him and Dieng on the bench we have plenty of options all of a sudden.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nombe and Stansfield up front with Brown in the 10 role.

Archie and Harper in midfield.

Slightly harsh on Kite but with him and Dieng on the bench we have plenty of options all of a sudden.
Is what I'm thinking, I'm sure Fulham have loaned him to play a lot of games as he could have likely got a Championship loan

ryancooper327

We can have any one of Jay/Dieng/Brown in the '10' with any duo of Jay/Brown/Nombe/Stansfield/Cox/Smith up top. Or go Harper/Collins/Kite in CM with two up. Few more variations now which is good.

Grecianpasty

I would say that MT has probably felt stunted by only really being able to play 3-5-2. The two front men coming in will change the formation more than anything else, dependant on who we play.

For example, Ipswich away will probably see us diploy a 4-5-1 formation with Smith up top, and Stansfield and Brown either side of him.

Whereas, a Morecombe at home could lead to us playing with Nombe, Brown and Stansfield, showing a more technical line up.

I fear the one player who will miss out most in this is Jay. Competition for places is healthy for everyone, and if the last few games are anything to go by we desperately needed that in the striking department!

Albumen

Jay left back. Sorted. 😗

Grecianpasty

Although not topic specific, I'd also add kite is now a viable option right centre back if Sweeney gets injured.

Players need to play for places regardless of the position.

Cowshed Grecian

Stanno hasn’t come here to be a bench warmer, This could work really well cause Nombe is going to have to fight to even get in! Which means he might get even better. We didn’t see this optimism yesterday afternoon 😂

Cowshed Grecian

Is always thought we looked most dangerous when he had the Randall, Bowman, Jay combo during lockdown. How about this line up:back to 4-3-3

Stansfield Harris Nombe
Brown/Jay
Archie Rakeem

Sparkes Hartridge Stubbs Key
Blackman