• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Our delightful interactive scoreboard

David Treharne

My thanks are due to Pete Martin for raising this as an A.O.B. item at last nights Ownership Working Group (OWG) meeting last night. My reading of the outcome of the discussion was that the matter will be raised at a Trust Board meeting- it certainly provoked some pretty interesting comments about the current "machine", and the need to plan that if (and when) the ground redevelopment goes ahead something ought to be put in place to provide a) a better service(apparently with the current abomination it's impossible to tell whether it's started or not until the first minute elapses and is displayed) and b) generate income for the Trust/Club. How it could be paid for is for future consideration, but it could be a crowd funding project or a subscription fund raiser (or neither or both!).
The OWG is an interesting example of how non Trustees can get involved and participate-after Pete Holding left the meeting Trustees were a minority-and discussion is unhindered by any them and us divides.

Terryhall

Sounds like a good outcome, thanks for the update!

Boyo

Have an idea that you can add Yeovil to that list. The Trust offered to buy one outright for the Club. However I believe the sticking point was that the incumbent Commercial Director (Paul Morrish) had absolutely no enthusiasm, and despite the Trust's representatives continually raising the issue at Club Board level over a period of time, the Club Board just didn't have the will or foresight to proceed. Eventually the Trust gave up "knocking their heads against a brick wall" and spent the money on other projects.

Very sad really, as it could have been producing income for the club ever since ! (facepalm)
I've met Paul a few times and he seems a very sensible chap, so I would like to understand his rationale for not wanting one.

I’m merely speculating but I wonder whether it’s the cannibalisation of existing advertisers? That’s to say if the scoreboard generates £10k profit each year, but we lose £15k of sponsorship through more traditional means such as ads in the programme, pitch side boards etc, then it’s clearly a bad idea.

JamieEcfc

Torquays score board is very good!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster

Last edited:

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is that Morse code for two year rolling deal?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Torquays score board is very good!
I'm sure I read somewhere that they're having trouble making it pay for itself ...

Early Bath

Is that Morse code for two year rolling deal?
Strangely enough - one dot in the morse code is the letter "E", a series of dots means "erase my last" Odd !

cityregular

Bloody hell you`ll be asking for the PA system to work properly next?
In all seriousness the PA system---Standing on the Big Bank it is impossible to hear what is being said----
For Health & Safety reasons only-- if there was a serious incident etc. & evacuation was needed NO ONE ON THE BIG BANK WOULD KNOW
The system needs to be overhauled quickly before the Bank is shut off for safety reasons

In all seriousness the PA system---Standing on the Big Bank it is impossible to hear what is being said----
For Health & Safety reasons only-- if there was a serious incident etc. & evacuation was needed NO ONE ON THE BIG BANK WOULD KNOW
The system needs to be overhauled quickly before the Bank is shut off for safety reasons
It doesn't help that Mark Tyler insists on shouting into the microphone instead of speaking. This immediately turns his announcements into a Norman Collier tribute.