• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Our defence

milts

How has a Matt Taylor team got such a bad defence? We’re absolutely shocking at the back game in game out.

To go away to Cheltenham and score 3 but still lose simply isn’t good enough. Unless we sort the defence out ASAP promotion is nothing more then a pipe dream.

When Sweeney is your best centre half you know your in trouble.

Albumen

How has a Matt Taylor team got such a bad defence? We’re absolutely shocking at the back game in game out.

To go away to Cheltenham and score 3 but still lose simply isn’t good enough. Unless we sort the defence out ASAP promotion is nothing more then a pipe dream.

When Sweeney is your best centre half you know your in trouble.
He absolutely isn’t our best centre half. I know that you’re trying to make a point, and it’s a valid point... but that’s a stretch.

milts

He absolutely isn’t our best centre half. I know that you’re trying to make a point, and it’s a valid point... but that’s a stretch.
Can’t say McArdle or Parkes are better?

It’s a desperate situation.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Getting rid of Martin for has-been McArdle was a big mistake.

Reactions: Ash

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
It isn't just our back line, the midfield is very weak at times, both Taylor and Collins are often outmuscled and caught out on the ball.

People have been building Collins up big time this season yet we are conceding goals for fun and he is playing as our holding midfielder, he offers the back line very little protection.

Red Monster

We need to hope Matt can find another big strong central defender
in the mode of Dara O’Shea come January.

milts

We need to hope Matt can find another big strong central defender
in the mode of Dara O’Shea come January.
Last proper defender we had.

budegrecian

Talk of us needing a striker in January are wrong. We need another CH.
Parkes is generally ok, as is McArdle when he's fit. I can only assume McArdle was not fully fit as today's game was made for him. I do think Hartridge will make it but we still require another dominant CH who can be relied upon to play regularly.
Keeping Aaron Martin wouldn't have been the answer either.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
It isn't just our back line, the midfield is very weak at times, both Taylor and Collins are often outmuscled and caught out on the ball.

People have been building Collins up big time this season yet we are conceding goals for fun and he is playing as our holding midfielder, he offers the back line very little protection.
This... he is such an over rated player... gave the ball away so many times today. Taylor getting subbed wasn't a surprise either.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree we've been papering over the crack defensively - against average - poor sides we can outscore but the better organised teams are gonna do what happened today. Ws it 4 set pieces today we conceeded?

We need to settle on a CB pairing - having a player play most of the season at CB who wasn't even wanted at the club says it all. Absolute must to sign a CB in Jan.

Maxsted looks really really rusty too.