• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Other teams’ away followings

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just a couple of recent observations.

Apparently last night Middlesbrough took 9 fans to Walsall for their U21 team’s game in the Checkatrade. Makes me feel even prouder of the 11 we took to Alfreton for the U23 game against Forest :)

Also, I went to Burton vs Southend last Tuesday and the away following was pathetic. I didn’t hear how many were there but they made no noise whatsoever during the game. I heard one song after they scored their winner but other than that there was nothing. Reminded me how good our away following is, even in small numbers.

Oldsmobile-88

We do have a great away following in number & noise.They are quiet remarkable given the numbers attending SJP are nothing special for the size of the city & catchment area.

fred binneys head

They are quiet remarkable.
Was that deliberate? :)

Oldsmobile-88

Was that deliberate? :)
:D :D....Should always proof read !!..

Terryhall

It could always be worse - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

(as an aside, how is that already 6 years ago...!)

mustangspeed2006

The smallest away following I've seen at SJP was 3, when Leigh RMI were the visitors in a 5-1 win. I seem to remember the Leigh players did a pre-match training exercise that left a muddy circle in the pitch for several weeks.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It could always be worse - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

(as an aside, how is that already 6 years ago...!)
On another forum I post on (albeit haven't since changing jobs - yet!), and linked to mustangspeed2006's post, there was often recourse to posting a picture of Dagenham's then away end with a solitary Leigh RMI fan stood on the terrace.

Back in 08/09 I remember another different forum (the one which is now Onefootballforum) where someone calculated the average attendances and did a calculation based on away fans per mile. Not surprisingly we came out on top in the division. It was that forum where I remember in one of our L1 seasons a Walsall fan complaining bitterly about how much extra travelling they had to do due to promotion/relegation of some of their more local teams. When it was revealed that Walsall were comfortably 24th in the division in terms of travelling distance he soon shut up.

Leads

I go to fair amount of neutral games and "pound for pound" i would say our support is pretty decent.

This season I have been to Man City V Fulham, Everton v West Ham and Burnley v Bournemouth and on each occasion the away support was pretty quiet- albeit in the former two games they were losing heavily and in the 3rd i wasn't near the away fans. I do think we benefit from how many exiles we have- a large London contingent goes without saying but I think we have a surprising amount of fans based in the Midlands/North. I was at the Rotherham game where we lost 4-0 on a Tuesday night a few years back and one of the stewards was talking about the journey back and pretty much everyone he spoke to seemed to live in Yorkshire.

In terms of noise no one compares to Leeds- it's ridiculous. A large % of their support are utter twXts though.

Colesman Ballz

There's a poster on Lincoln's 100%Imps forum, who does a weekly round up of League 2's away attendances.

fred binneys head

I went to Villa on Saturday (best corporate I've been to, amazing quality and service) and Swansea had a decent following. They sold out their end (2,000?) and made a bit of noise - got to say nowhere near as much as we would have made with that type of following though. My survey has only just started but I still have us down as the best fans in the league :)