• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

"Osbornomics"

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Quick question.

When the Gideon seized control of the Treasuryin 2010 UK Debt stood at 69% of GDP
Source ONS

Despite five and a half years of Austerity (largely targeted at the poorest and weakest in our society) it now stands at 80.5%.
Again, source ONS

Was the "March of the Makers" in truth, really a politically calculated crawl to force ordinary wages down?
or
Have the 'missing' billions just been quietly siphoned off to his b*anker and w*nker cronies to salt away in offshore havens?
or
Is our smug and self-satisfied Chancellor such a mathematical illiterate that he doesn't even realise that 80.5 > 69?

Genuine question.

Oldsmobile-88

Still spending more than is collected in tax...I recall seeing a report last week saying that a extra Billion £ had to be borrowed last month, this was on top of the usual monthly deficit I believe..

Oldsmobile-88

In 1976 Denis Healy was forced to take a loan out from the IMF.The IMF insisted on a 20% cut in Public Expenditure (overnight)before the loan was agreed..I doubt that Osborne has cut Public Expenditure by anywhere near that total in the 5 years that he has been in number 11...Different times, but Osborne has just tinkered around the edge...

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
In May 2010, unemployment was 8% and 2.5 million. 29 million counted as being in work
It is now 5.4% and 1.8 million with 31 million in work

1.8 million is still 1.8 million too many, but a damn sight better than 2.5 million

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
In May 2010, unemployment was 8% and 2.5 million. 29 million counted as being in work
It is now 5.4% and 1.8 million with 31 million in work

1.8 million is still 1.8 million too many, but a damn sight better than 2.5 million
does this include those on zero hour contracts? does it include those who have been sanctioned, and therefore no longer in receipt of benefits they are entitled too? just figures too suit the tory rhetoric no doubt.

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Last year 15,000 people died from living in a cold home..... Osborne wants to cut support to fuel poor households

edindevon

Seems to me like the UK now has it's begging bowl out to the world, like a millionaire who lost all his money on the stock markets. We're still broke, in no small measure due to the actions of bankers (who, as far as I can make out, remain protected in an unreformed and still de-regulated market). Human rights can be forgotten as Cameron and Osborne try to engender closer links with countries like Saudi Arabia and China.

Spoonz Red E

I've had three credit card offers in the post this week and see one of the banks offering a credit card for those 'who find it hard to get a credit card'.

Next credit boom anyone?

Last edited:

iscalad

I've had three credit card offers in the post this week and see one of the banks offering a credit card for those 'who find it hard to get a credit card'.

Next credit boom anyone?
Who'd credit that?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
If you're running a budget deficit inherited from the last lot, debt goes up.

Hardly even "Economics 101" innit.