• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Optimism

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'll genuinely be happy with a top half finish, and think it's not an unrealistic target. It will give the manager something to build on as we look to establish ourselves as a regular L1 club, rather than one that comes up for two or three years then drops back down for a decade or more.
I agree - the January acquisitions will hopefully mitigate the inevitable summer departures, something that I think we failed to do after our 8th place finish in L1 with Tis.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s a massively tall order to reach the playoffs, especially considering the nightmare set of fixtures we have in April. But, that’s way off. All we can do win the next game and take it step by step. The next 5 games look kind on paper and once they’re out of the way, we’ll know where we stand a bit more.

My concern was always next season with so many key players likely to move on, but now we’ve signed three players on permanent deals this month, at least we know they will be here for 23/24. It’ll still be a big summer regardless and hopefully GC can continue to recruit well to ensure we don’t start to decline.
And don't forget, there'll be more youngsters progressing through the academy. If one or two can come in and have the same impact as Collins, Key, Randall did then happy days.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
League 1 stability is the first aim and we are well on the way to that - playoffs would just be a bonus
We have kept are quality players and have added to the team / squad
All looking good from where I am sat

UTC

Grecianpasty

We now have something we haven't had all season, competition for places all over the pitch (apart from in goal). Players will need to be on the top of their game to perform, as Caldwell has already proved that no-one is indispensable, JB included. Play offs is a realistic ambition.

Banksy

One swallow does not a summer make , or in this case five footballers , but very well done to Gary for what he’s achieved in this window. Shows he’s got the contacts and there’s hope for the future under his managership. Given the amount of season left to us and the points we’d need to accumulate to make the playoffs especially with realistically only one space available , I’ll be more than satisfied if we can firmly establish ourselves in the top half of the table and try to prepare ourselves to make a decent push next season.

ECFC89

The form needed to take us into the playoffs would be remarkable. I am a big fan of Caldwell, but I struggle to remember a game we have entirely dominated. To suggest the playoffs is kudos to where we are as a a club at the moment, but the reality of it happening is a bit fat zero.

Worried this talk of the playoffs will only lead to people randomly hating on Gary, if we don't make it, or make a push for them.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The form needed to take us into the playoffs would be remarkable. I am a big fan of Caldwell, but I struggle to remember a game we have entirely dominated. To suggest the playoffs is kudos to where we are as a a club at the moment, but the reality of it happening is a bit fat zero.

Worried this talk of the playoffs will only lead to people randomly hating on Gary, if we don't make it, or make a push for them.
This.

As has been pointed out, there is realistically only one playoff place up for grabs - we are 12 points behind Bolton and Derby, also 5 behind Barnsley who have three games in hand. Posh and Wycombe also have 2 and 1 games in hand.

And if we had an amazing run and reached say 74 points (2 points a game from the remaining 18) we would probably still miss out, Barnsley only need 1.5 points a game to beat that.

IMO finishing safely in the top half is the realistic aim, anything better than that would be a bonus.

Tim Long

I'm a natural pessimist so I'd still be happy with avoiding relegation.
Deserves it's own thread.

andrew p long

As a generality we football fans over-emphasise the importance of transfer windows. Fans also tend to equate activity with success.

And the outcome often is different - sometimes the complete opposite - to the fans' mood at the end of the window.

Some examples. Our last two promotions came in the aftermath of much criticised transfer windows. In January 2009 we sold our top scorer and failed to sign any replacement.Outcome - promoted to League One. In summer 2021 there was a lack or marquee signings, merely the arrival of signings seen at the time by many as somewhat underwhelming. Outcome - promotion to League One.

Conversely in January 2006 the team that had led the Conference had the fine players (at that level) of Matt Gill and Wayne Carlisle added. Outcome -the promotion push then stalled and fell away. The manager subsequently (rightly) said 'right players, wrong window'.

So whilst both the strategy and the signings look promising, I'm not going to crack open the champagne (or even put it on ice!) until we've actually won lots of games with the new squad.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
This.

As has been pointed out, there is realistically only one playoff place up for grabs - we are 12 points behind Bolton and Derby, also 5 behind Barnsley who have three games in hand. Posh and Wycombe also have 2 and 1 games in hand.

And if we had an amazing run and reached say 74 points (2 points a game from the remaining 18) we would probably still miss out, Barnsley only need 1.5 points a game to beat that.

IMO finishing safely in the top half is the realistic aim, anything better than that would be a bonus.
We were 18 behind FGR in January last season...