• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Optimism

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Like every other City fan at present, i would love Jevani to stay and i hope the club will do all they can to try to make that happen and I'm sure they are. The problem is that he is currently in the form of his life and is well on course to finish the L1 season with 20+ goals and a similar number of assists to his name. I'm sure that this will mean that come the end of the season there will be a host of clubs willing to pay him double anything we can offer. Whilst i don't think moneys the only consideration, it has to be realised that so far his whole career has been in non league and at small L2 clubs, meaning that unlike some other players of his age, he won't have been on the kind of wages that will have seen him build up a stack of cash. He will be aware that approaching 29 he may only have 3 or 4 years left when he can attract big offers, so if someone comes in offering him a 3 year deal on £250-300k a year, he would be crazy to turn down that opportunity. Its not exactly set for life type earnings but if he he uses he money wisely, he could easily find himself with a mortgage free home by the time he retires, which will make his life after football a whole lot easier! I'd love him to stay but I think the chances are extremely thin.
Agreed. And I'd add that if Jev's agent can't get him a better off than 250k pa for 3 years, then JB needs a new agent.

Bat Fastard

aimson is the critical signing for me - we've scored the 6th most goals in the league but conceded significantly more than those around us. if, like last season, we can sure up at the back we can really push upwards in the league. As others have mentioned though there's a hell of a lot of teams we'd need to pass.....

Alistair20000

Barnsley play one of their games in hand tonight, away to Oxford. It will be interesting to see how it goes. On Saturday they visit Pompey.
Barnsley have won 2-1 making our task of the play offs a bit harder

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cest la Vie !
We need to improve GD in the run in whichever way we look.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. Now 8 points ahead of us, still with 2 games in hand and a much better GD. IMO playoff talk is pointless unless we win almost all of the next say 8 games and those above us falter. As Douglas Adams put it:

ZAPHOD:
Huh. That’s incredible.

TRILLIAN:
No, just very, very improbable.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
When new players arrive they have to be bedded in and it doesn't always seem easy for them or their new team mates at the beginning - see Rekeem Harper. I don't necessarily think we will have much better results and/or performances in the second half of the season than we have done in the first. Expecting us to finish anywhere between 10th and 14th as it stands. I do think we look like we'll have a much better chance of holding our own next season when our star players leave, as long as the new signings eventually deliver on their promise. Looking forward to certain exewebbers writing off a couple of the new players based on one or two performances like they did with Harper.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
aimson is the critical signing for me - we've scored the 6th most goals in the league but conceded significantly more than those around us. if, like last season, we can sure up at the back we can really push upwards in the league. As others have mentioned though there's a hell of a lot of teams we'd need to pass.....
But most of that defensive weakness was down to injuries and lack of cover. With the exception of the Bristol Rovers games we've defended much better once we've had a settled back three. However, we definitely need cover at the back for the inevitable injuries in the second half of the season.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
When new players arrive they have to be bedded in and it doesn't always seem easy for them or their new team mates at the beginning - see Rekeem Harper. I don't necessarily think we will have much better results and/or performances in the second half of the season than we have done in the first. Expecting us to finish anywhere between 10th and 14th as it stands. I do think we look like we'll have a much better chance of holding our own next season when our star players leave, as long as the new signings eventually deliver on their promise. Looking forward to certain exewebbers writing off a couple of the new players based on one or two performances like they did with Harper.
This is the first season in what feels like forever when we haven't been desperately trying to win every game to get promoted so I'm looking forward to enjoying the games for the rest of the season and not worrying too much about our final position in the table. And mostly I'm just looking forward to having the opportunity to watch Jevani for another few months.

tonykellowfan

There is zero chance of us making the playoffs this season.

Last season when we almost caught Forest Green, second half of the season we were the best team in L2 and were conceding at less than a goal a game with the best keeper and best CB in L2. We are nowhere near the same level in L1 this season. We are an entertaining mid table side.

fred binneys head

I’m delighted with the transfer window and GC’s start overall, but in my opinion we’ve got no chance of reaching the play offs. To do that, given how tough April is for us, we’d need to win the next 10 games in a row. And as much as I think we’re going to have a good run, I don’t see that happening.

I predict we’ll finish 10th and I’ll be bloody delighted with that. If we can beat argyle at home too I’ll get an all over body tattoo of Gary Caldwell’s face.