• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Optimism

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have just looked at the odds for promotion. We are 10th favourites.

OK, we are tenth, but Pompey have been placed ahead of us (they have two games in hand) and we are shorter odds than the Shrews, who are 3 points ahead of us at the moment

Ashford Grecian

Our transfer dealings seem to have delighted most City fans, though we are yet to see most of the newbies in action.

Has Caldwell done enough for fans to consider that playoffs might be achievable or are we really looking at next season?

In my mind playoffs would be just brilliant :)
Now is the opportunity - we have the kept the squad intact in the main and strengthened

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am happy with the window. Not so much with the incomers (All whom need to prove themselves and only really Aimson has a background of consistency in the signings, Mcdonald is no doubt a good signing but whether he still has it following his recent injuries / problems) but certainly with the fact we have retained all the players I really wanted us to keep. Key, Collins, Brown and Nombe.

tom_ecfc

Talk of the playoffs….we’re going for automatic promotion!!!!

rifraf

Depends how we cope with April's fixture list. That is where we sink or swim. It's quite intimidating!

Fareham Grecian

I'm a natural pessimist so I'd still be happy with avoiding relegation.
+1 😄

Without being gung ho,I think Gary Caldwell has made some good acquisitions to the squad,and a mid table finish this season,could be consolidated next season with a push for the play offs at least,so I think things are looking good for us at the moment

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm also a natural pessimist so survival this season and next season will do for me and would still be a good result.

SaintJames

Gary has a clear plan and a vision for what he sees and feels is needed in reshaping the squad he inherited. The summer will be the next big step on that pathway. He has recruited fantastically well but equally started to clear out the players he didn't feel are part of his plans in Dieng, Stubbs and MJ. He has released three of our higher earners and got significant transfer fees for two who were squad players anyway. Without doing we wouldn't have been able to recruit four such excellent players in Aimson, McDonald, Scott and Demeitri. The challenge in being able to recruit well in the summer will be having more finance available. We can't really grow our attendances by much realistically and potentially tribunal fees for Archie and Key will be factored in to support running costs and if they remain we are 500k down. Therefore, it is now more vital than ever that the commercial team increases current income significantly. I see no evidence that this will happen so where does the necessary money come from? I know we may get money from Amps but certainly cant be relied upon.
Answers on a postcard please

The other way to look at it is that the top 5 are already out of sight which means there is only one spot we can aim at. And there is every chance that at least one of Barnsley, Posh or Wycombe will go on the sort of run that will make it very difficult for us to catch them.
You are forgetting about the imminent annual collapse of our green neighbours 🤣🤣🤣