• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Optimism

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not trying to bring negativity to things, but am a bit surprised by all the optimism floating about.

From the squad that finished the season (and was clearly not good enough to go up) we've added a conference midfielder and a goalkeeper, Oddschecker shows that there are only 3 teams with longer odds than us for promotion, we've got one single fairly inexperienced centre back, one fairly inexperienced centre forward and a midfield made up of youngsters and crocks, whether out best player from last season signs on is up in the air.

Not saying there's no grounds for optimism... I'm enjoying it. Just wonder what its based on.

Pobbop

Not trying to bring negativity to things, but am a bit surprised by all the optimism floating about.

From the squad that finished the season (and was clearly not good enough to go up) we've added a conference midfielder and a goalkeeper, Oddschecker shows that there are only 3 teams with longer odds than us for promotion, we've got one single fairly inexperienced centre back, one fairly inexperienced centre forward and a midfield made up of youngsters and crocks, whether out best player from last season signs on is up in the air.

Not saying there's no grounds for optimism... I'm enjoying it. Just wonder what its based on.
At the moment I'm not actually optimistic, but I am expectant. I think the type of signing in Holmes and the 'keeper seem a bit more progressive then the usual type we've been used to.

I am just hoping that type of signing is made another 3 or 4 times. If it is I'll be optimistic, if not despondent.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The early transfer movement,
The fact we have got rid of Cummins, and Bennett
The 3 or 4 signings still to come
Tom Nichols

Loads of reasons to be cheerful.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loads of reasons to be cheerful.
I would hope that Tisdale has been served his two year notice on his roller (as somebody else suggested) so that his agreement with the club would be much more fair, that would give me a major reason to be cheerful. Thats one of those things we'll unfortunately never know I suppose.

kolokloko

We had an awful start last year and still came in 10th. This year we will have a much better team (having Holmes for the whole season isnt something you mentioned) and we will definitely start better of than last year. Both Bobby and Holmes said that "something special is happening" this season and I believe them.

Red Monster

Well if the bookies think we're no hopers it's a great opportunity for us to win some cash off them .

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have a bit of money, we came 10th last time out, Holmes has joined, the ones who have departed (in my view) were not our top performers, Ollie Watkins has a year's experience under his belt, we desperately need a CB, and another striker, but if those 2 positions are filled with decent people at this level, and Ribs signs, we surely must push on ?, will be gutted if Ribs leaves though, we will not get anybody to his standard in my view

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
No but Holmes finished the season with us, and I'd say the team that finished the season wasn't good enough for promotion. Plenty of if's and buts about where we started, impact of Grimes, etc. But I'd contend that the squad as it stood on the last day was some way short. Since then we've lost Sercombe and Bennet, who, fair enough, plenty on here don't rate, but I did.. plus maybe Ribeiro...

Anyway, not trying **** on anyone's chips... Just think that though getting Holmes in permanently and a quality keeper signed up are reasons to be cheerful, still think we're a significant number of signings short of pushing for promotion... That said, League 2 is an unpredictable league and who knows, what youngsters may come through, or which oldies might decide to pull their finger out of their arse and surprise us with a whole season's form.... Big contribution from Noble and Harley would be useful.

Pobbop

No but Holmes finished the season with us, and I'd say the team that finished the season wasn't good enough for promotion. Plenty of if's and buts about where we started, impact of Grimes, etc. But I'd contend that the squad as it stood on the last day was some way short. Since then we've lost Sercombe and Bennet, who, fair enough, plenty on here don't rate, but I did.. plus maybe Ribeiro...

Anyway, not trying **** on anyone's chips... Just think that though getting Holmes in permanently and a quality keeper signed up are reasons to be cheerful, still think we're a significant number of signings short of pushing for promotion... That said, League 2 is an unpredictable league and who knows, what youngsters may come through, or which oldies might decide to pull their finger out of their arse and surprise us with a whole season's form.... Big contribution from Noble and Harley would be useful.
Well Noble looked good when he played last year, seemed to have a little more steel about him too, I think Harley did well in patches, just needs to get used to the new players around him, which can take time.

ethos

I think we will make the top 7 next season