• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Homicide rates are going through the roof in many major Cities.

Latest Year on year figures.

Portland 800%

🔺Oakland 132%

🔺Los Angeles 26%

🔺Austin 50%

🔺Minneapolis 113%

🔺Chicago 22%

🔺New York City 22%

🔺Philadelphia 38%

How is defunding the Police working out ?

Alistair20000

Ol’ Sleepy will sort it out once he has has finished his holiday in Cornwall

angelic upstart

Portland 800%

🔺Oakland 132%

🔺Los Angeles 26%

🔺Austin 50%

🔺Minneapolis 113%

🔺Chicago 22%

🔺New York City 22%

🔺Philadelphia 38%

I read that in the USA murder rates were up 25% nationally in 2020.

Pobbop

Portland 800%

🔺Oakland 132%

🔺Los Angeles 26%

🔺Austin 50%

🔺Minneapolis 113%

🔺Chicago 22%

🔺New York City 22%

🔺Philadelphia 38%

Policing is pretty much done by the states and Cities in the USA isn't it? Little can be done by Biden over that or gun Control really, and most of those cities did nothing about either in the end. Same with Trump just saying your pro or anti something won't get anything done.

angelic upstart

Incidentally, despite reading as much as I can about it, I can’t find a definitive view of what defunding the police is. It seems to vary from diverting some funds away from the police for education, MH programmes to completely doing away with the old bill, which is nuts

Pobbop

Incidentally, despite reading as much as I can about it, I can’t find a definitive view of what defunding the police is. It seems to vary from diverting some funds away from the police for education, MH programmes to completely doing away with the old bill, which is nuts
It's mainly a meaningless and counter-productive catchphrase, and again hardy enacted anywhere, so almost certainly nothing to do with rising crime rates over Trumps last year or the start of this year. More that there was kinda an huge global pandemic causing record rates of unemployment and unrest in an heavily armed populace.

just a thought, and Biden is trying to do something about that by having launched a massive vaccination process and a massive simulus package.

Rosencrantz

I think this would be an idealised view of it.

tavyred

Again, it was a phrase that has more meaning in the States than it does here, and thus when it was parroted by those who think our issues over race mirror those over the pond, it just sounded crassly inappropriate.
It’s my understanding that one of the reasons for the disquiet among black people over police funding in the states is how quickly law enforcement over there can transform itself into a machine-gun toting para military looking force. I think they would, dare I say it, prefer to deal with a more British style of low key policing than with what a equates to a small army in attitudes and equipment over there.

DB9

In other news, VP Harris is causing disquiet amongst Democrats by not visiting the US/Mexico border at all even though Biden tasked her with sorting/helping things, This comes when a record 178k tried to cross the border in April alone. If they don't sort this out the Republicans will use this to the full.

Alistair20000

In other news, VP Harris is causing disquiet amongst Democrats by not visiting the US/Mexico border even though Biden tasked her with sorting/helping things, This comes when a record 178k tried to cross the border in April alone. If they don't sort this out the Republicans will use this to the full.
The worldwide shortage of building materials is holding up the plan to build a wall crafted by VP Harris.

• Haha
Reactions: DB9