• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can’t help but think that the overly politically partisan nature of Trumps first impeachment will impact on the way the second wholly justified impeachment will get viewed, especially by Trump’s core vote. Impeachment for naked political gain only is dangerous in my opinion.

DB9

I can’t help but think that the overly politically partisan nature of Trumps first impeachment will impact on the way the second wholly justified impeachment will get viewed, especially by Trump’s core vote. Impeachment for naked political gain only is dangerous in my opinion.
The first impeachment seemed "technical" but this one is fully deserved, Bit like get a yellow card for tugging someone back but your next foul is a straight red for a two legged lunge.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone see Trump's latest attempt to get himself out the brown stuff? I think he is now really worried that instead of another, say, 10 years of playing golf and counting his money in between the tweeting and rabble-rousing, he has years of legal fight, no friends, possible jail and no outlet for his thoughtful musings.

Mr Jinx

no friends
Many of the 74 million people that voted for him may disagree with that.

DB9

How many of those 74m voted for him because they're Republicans and not "Trumplicans"? I'd imagine quite a few who only will and have always voted for the GOP, Like over here, No matter who's the leader they still vote for a particular party.

elginCity

How many of those 74m voted for him because they're Republicans and not "Trumplicans"? I'd imagine quite a few who only will and have always voted for the GOP, Like over here, No matter who's the leader they still vote for a particular party.
Exactly. Not unlike lifelong Tories voting for a clown. I'd imagine a significant number of Trumplicans with a conscience would have been appalled by the effect of the President's rabble rousing, purist Trumplicans will be equally furious with his change of tone since. In a week's time he should be history, but sadly the senate impeachment vote will mean he'll still be in the public eye for a while yet. Busted flush.

Spoonz Red E

The biggest difference between this impeachment and the first is that evidence will be called.

One of the 2 articles of the first impeachment was 'obstruction of justice' so ...
the Senate trial refused to allow evidence.

Trump and his cabinet(s) have spent most of the last 4 years stonewalling scrutiny and accountability.

It's also as well to remember that three important takeways from the Robert Mueller were

Trump's written responses to questions from investigators were "generally" untruthful and incomplete.

"If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.
We did not, however, make a determination as to whether the president did commit a crime"

"It would be unfair to potentially accuse somebody of a crime when there can be no court resolution of the actual charge"

Now there can be evidence produced and the opportunity to resolve matters in court.

Despite the 'new norm' over the last four years facts matter.
Evidence and testimony under oath will get us closer to them.

Rosencrantz

Given the standard of his current legal team, none of them appear able or willing to help him in that department.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I meant 'political / high profile friends' rather than followers.
How many of the 74,000,000 stick with Trump himself or abandon him for whoever tries to drag the Republican party out the gutter remains to be seen.

Mr Jinx

I meant 'political / high profile friends' rather than followers.
How many of the 74,000,000 stick with Trump himself or abandon him for whoever tries to drag the Republican party out the gutter remains to be seen.
Yes, it's a watch this space.

I think what surprised me most watching the many news outlets' coverage of last week's events was two things:

1) The seeming absence of the extreme far right. The MSM tried to spin the Stormers as extreme right wing. They did spot someone wearing a "Camp Auswitz" t-shirt, but the fact a big play was made on that confirms that there was little else of that ilk. I didn't see any organised groups of neo-nazi skinheads or similar. Maybe there was but I couldn't make any out. Yes, there were a number of the usual unhinged nutters, but there was just as many seemingly more normal people.
2) When you see a hockey mom brandishing a noose chanting "Hang Biden!" with lots of other hockey moms and dads joining in, you know America has a lot of problems coming its way. The demise of Trump (if he even does demise) is going to do little to supress this; it'll exacerbate it if anything.