• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I dunno, the Aussies aren't doing a bad job of having a pop at some of the big boys.

Besides, if you believe the hype, he's the darling of these companies anyway...

Grecian2K

Donny Junior practising the new GOP salute prior to daddy's reported comeback speech?

Oldsmobile-88

Good grief...The Don is back.

Rosencrantz

Good grief...The Don is back.
Live and...

IndoMike

Donald Trump is severely, severely testing my values about not wishing ill of anyone.
Severely, severely, severely testing.
I feel sorry for Biden to have this monkey permanently on his back.

Alistair20000

Donald Trump is severely, severely testing my values about not wishing ill of anyone.
Severely, severely, severely testing.
I feel sorry for Biden to have this monkey permanently on his back.

Don't worry Indo. Ol' Sleepy won't even be noticing and he thinks Trump is called George.

IndoMike

Don't worry Indo. Ol' Sleepy won't even be noticing and he thinks Trump is called George.
And Trump famously spoke about "covefefe".
Are you guilty of "ageism" here, Ali?
Our late inspirational leader Winston Churchill was pretty old when he guided the country through the trauma of WWII and is considered one of our greatest PMs, unlike the wannabe Churchill name of Johnson who is proving to be one of our worst, even though he is soooo young.
You could make a long list of leaders who have verbally blundered through their presidency, disregarding their age. George Bush is just one example : a relative youngster.
So, although I prefer younger leaders in their 30s or 40s, age alone should not be the primary factor. We all get to the stage where we forget where we put things or forget people's names,but as long as you don't forget where you left the nuclear briefcase then it's ok.

lamrobhero

The threat to democracy comes from the right:

Stacey Abrams says that new efforts by the GOP to restrict voting ‘actually take us to what looks like post-Reconstruction Jim Crow era laws.’

Stacey Abrams calls GOP efforts to restrict voting ‘new Jim Crow era laws’ MSNBC 05:31

IndoMike

The threat to democracy comes from the right:

Stacey Abrams says that new efforts by the GOP to restrict voting ‘actually take us to what looks like post-Reconstruction Jim Crow era laws.’

Stacey Abrams calls GOP efforts to restrict voting ‘new Jim Crow era laws’ MSNBC 05:31
Well, of course

Alistair20000

And Trump famously spoke about "covefefe".
Are you guilty of "ageism" here, Ali?
Our late inspirational leader Winston Churchill was pretty old when he guided the country through the trauma of WWII and is considered one of our greatest PMs, unlike the wannabe Churchill name of Johnson who is proving to be one of our worst, even though he is soooo young.
You could make a long list of leaders who have verbally blundered through their presidency, disregarding their age. George Bush is just one example : a relative youngster.
So, although I prefer younger leaders in their 30s or 40s, age alone should not be the primary factor. We all get to the stage where we forget where we put things or forget people's names,but as long as you don't forget where you left the nuclear briefcase then it's ok.
Realism not ageism Mike and let's be honest, at age 78 sadly a few bits of the anatomy no longer function as well as when one was younger.

Ronald Reagan was an effective modern U.S.A. president who is alleged to have spent a fair bit of his presidency asleep. He had good advisors and I hope the same is true of Ol' Sleepy.

As regards Churchill, he was only 70 when WWII ended. I believe he was more or less gaga when becoming P.M. again in 1951 mind. He had a decent Cabinet to tow him along.

Optimum age for a leader is 45-60 in my view when the woolly minded idealism has been tempered with the practicalities of the real world. Give me a Gordon Broon over the Reverend Blair any day. :)