• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
It doesn't make good reading. It's a shame that BLM is being tarnished so badly by these type of things and by the Rittenhouse trial. There's a danger the movement will make things worse in the USA as a result
Any large group is going to have unsavoury elements. It shouldn't tar the whole movement, but I'm sure the usual suspects (ie the ones that say "you shouldn't politicise a tragedy" after every mass shooting) will attempt to do so.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Twitter is like a terrible version of the comments section in all the local papers websites, but like Olds says there's loads of decent stuff in there. Just avoid the comments after the main tweet.
I use twitter a lot in my work and it's great if you cultivate your experience properly. As a result I don't see a lot of the political stuff that people complain about, unless I go looking for it.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rittenhouse continues to make friends by saying he supports BLM, on Tucker Carlson of all places. Now both the left and the right want him locked up.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
It doesn't make good reading. It's a shame that BLM is being tarnished so badly by these type of things and by the Rittenhouse trial. There's a danger the movement will make things worse in the USA as a result
Turns out the accused is nothing to do with BLM. Just a career criminal. You know, like that err George Floyd fella.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
And as we know every former criminal who hasn't offended in 10 years deserves to be publically executed without due process.

angelic upstart

And as we know every former criminal who hasn't offended in 10 years deserves to be publically executed without due process.
I don't think many people would want that. Many offenders grow out of it by the time they're 25 and live full lives on the right side of the law.

By the way, was this in relation to the bloke that murdered five people the other day, injuring forty more whilst out on bail and aged 39.

angelic upstart

Turns out the accused is nothing to do with BLM. Just a career criminal. You know, like that err George Floyd fella.
Then apologies from me for getting it so wrong. Was interesting to see Rittenhouse say he supported BLM earlier.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think many people would want that. Many offenders grow out of it by the time they're 25 and live full lives on the right side of the law.

By the way, was this in relation to the bloke that murdered five people the other day, injuring forty more whilst out on bail and aged 39.
It was in relation to the post likening him to George Floyd.

DB9

It was in relation to the post likening him to George Floyd.
Didn't the awful saga of George Floyd's killing start when a shop assistant phoned the Police because he was trying to buy cigarettes with countefiet money? If true, he was committing a crime by doing that. (This in no way is belittling what happened to him at the hands (or Knee) of that Police Officer)

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't the awful saga of George Floyd's killing start when a shop assistant phoned the Police because he was trying to buy cigarettes with countefiet money? If true, he was committing a crime by doing that. (This in no way is belittling what happened to him at the hands (or Knee) of that Police Officer)
The shop assistant thought it might be counterfeit. I'm not sure it was ever actually established whether it was or not.