• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ollie gets a tap-in against Norwich, seals the 2-0 win.
Plus he gets an assist !
If Villa stay up we are due more £ but sadly after Jan transfer window unless we risk it based on their survival.
Always tough being a lower league club.
UTC

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Plus he gets an assist !
If Villa stay up we are due more £ but sadly after Jan transfer window unless we risk it based on their survival.
Always tough being a lower league club.
UTC
I think it would be a fair to say that Villa most likely will be staying up this season and you hope that this and the 150,000 pounds that it brings us is somewhat factored in to what we may be able to do in January. I would see this as a calculated and educated 'risk' to take to hopefully help us strengthen.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it would be a fair to say that Villa most likely will be staying up this season and you hope that this and the 150,000 pounds that it brings us is somewhat factored in to what we may be able to do in January. I would see this as a calculated and educated 'risk' to take to hopefully help us strengthen.
Totally agree and although not a betting man, with Stevie G at the wheel I would say they are odds on stay up.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think with Stevie G at the helm not only will Villa stay up but Ollie will want to stay.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is absolutely no way Villa will go down.

Rosencrantz

It's starting to look like a similar situation to Southampton a few years ago when there was general sympathy for Nigel Adkins getting sacked after he got them promoted and were doing what most people expected in the PL, Ok but looking over their shoulders. Then they appointed Pochettino. Feels the same thing, Dean Smith had done a good job and it seemed a bit harsh that the first sticky spell he gets the boot. But Gerrard looks a step up.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
It's starting to look like a similar situation to Southampton a few years ago when there was general sympathy for Nigel Adkins getting sacked after he got them promoted and were doing what most people expected in the PL, Ok but looking over their shoulders. Then they appointed Pochettino. Feels the same thing, Dean Smith had done a good job and it seemed a bit harsh that the first sticky spell he gets the boot. But Gerrard looks a step up.
As A fellow Brumie I was sad to see Deano get the tin tack, but I think there was a danger of them being sucked into the relegation mire the way they were going. They were often too open and vulnerable to the counter attack, a club like Villa need a presence in charge and in SG they have it. No one knows if he is going to be a top manager yet, but the early signs are good so far.

Rosencrantz

As A fellow Brumie I was sad to see Deano get the tin tack, but I think there was a danger of them being sucked into the relegation mire the way they were going. They were often too open and vulnerable to the counter attack, a club like Villa need a presence in charge and in SG they have it. No one knows if he is going to be a top manager yet, but the early signs are good so far.
I think Smith was struggling to fit both Ollie and Danny Ings in up front and compromising the rest of the team through the change of shape from last season. And you are right that they were looking over their shoulder. Gerrard has added a midfielder to the shape in the young lad Jacob Ramsey with Ollie the centre of a three which he is well versed with.

Now Ings is fit again it will be interesting to see what Gerrard does. My guess is nothing to the shape. Team over individual for Stevie G every time.

andrew p long

Now Ings is fit again it will be interesting to see what Gerrard does. My guess is nothing to the shape. Team over individual for Stevie G every time.
Agreed. Gerrard has been very impressive in the way he has kept Ings and Watkins feeling wanted. When asked about the difficult issue he said how much he needed both firing on all cylinders for Villa to be successful. He has also talked up Ings even when leaving him on the bench, saying its because he 's not yet 100% fit.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Gerrard's appointment is definitely benefiting Ollie.