• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

StudentGrecian

This morning it was widely reported that TAA was out. Seems to me that Southgate may have decided at the 11th hour that he needs four right-backs in his squad [WTAF?!] and, as a result, Ollie has missed out. :-(
Really don’t understand the 4 right backs. Southgate saying TAA can also play CM, well how about take someone who plays there week in week out if you’re worried you haven’t got enough?
Gutted for Ollie, only 2 out and out strikers in the side, some really poor decisions made imo.

StudentGrecian

Lingard, Ward Prowse and Ollie all told by Southgate that they can leave the training camp after missing out, but have all decided to stay.
Imagine that means they aren’t even on the back up list if Henderson and Maguire can’t prove their fitness.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Southgate now saying at his presser that all is not lost for those who've missed out as there's every chance of an injury or two in the pre-tournament friendlies.

Shortly after saying that we've finally got a bit of clarity [now that he's announced his squad].

All very strange.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lingard, Ward Prowse and Ollie all told by Southgate that they can leave the training camp after missing out, but have all decided to stay.
Imagine that means they aren’t even on the back up list if Henderson and Maguire can’t prove their fitness.
Apparently, Lingard is going to start tomorrow's friendly – despite the fact he's not in the squad. Barking.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just one thing to say now - COME ON WALES! :p

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m probably in a minority of one here but I don’t think this is too bad for Ollie, in my view he’s not quite ready for international football and needs to improve his game before he can be considered properly.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m probably in a minority of one here but I don’t think this is too bad for Ollie, in my view he’s not quite ready for international football and needs to improve his game before he can be considered properly.
Don't altogether disagree but if Kane gets injured [and he's got plenty of previous] we're pretty much reliant on Dominic Calvert-Lewin to lead the line. If we need four right-backs, can't help thinking another striker, be it Ollie, Bamford or AN Other, wouldn't have gone amiss.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Methinks I need to create an Euro 2021 thread here WoWs just to keep this thread on topic.

dontpassback

In my humble opinion,leavin ollie out is a mistake by Southgate,whilst he may not be first choice,he would be a very good back up should injuries arise

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Defending picking 4 RBs, Southgate said his squad consists of the "best 26 footballers" and he would have picked 5 or 6 RBs if he could.

Euro 2020: I would have picked more right-backs for England squad - Southgate - BBC Sport

He's deranged. Squads / teams don't consist of the best 11 or 26 players regardless of their positions, they need to be balanced.