• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Levy is Scrooge personified, and I can't imagine Spurs being anywhere close to top bidders. They had their chance last summer, but iirc they didn't want to pay more than £15-18M. It was a bleddy good job Ollie went to Villa, where he plays virtually every minute of every game, rather than be just a back up at Spurs. It has got him his England call up and recognition. Everything is rosy for him at Villa, and at £70k a week he is financially set up for life. I can't see him being worth more than £40-50M in the transfer market, as he is not a clinical enough striker at the top, top level, at least at the moment.
An yet the stats [notably shot accuracy] suggest he's right up there with the very best in the Premier League and this, remember, is someone in their first season at the top level.

Ash

What do the wizards of exeweb suggest his price tag should be these days?
Doubt Villa would let him go for less than 60m. Whether he'd be worth the money, only time would tell I suppose.
Any more speculation on whether any sell-on fee for Brentford would be seperate from the 5 million maximum that was applied to their possible add-ons?? If it was, we'd be getting a 15% cut of what could be another 5-10 million 😳😁

jimmy

I guess when 'arry Kane goes to Citeh, Spurs will need a star man up top. I still can't see Spurs paying the monster price tag that a young, goal scoring England striker will demand. Arsenal won't pay it either..

Pobbop

I think the fact he went so high, in transfers, before is it's less that he's very good, which he is, but he's the perfect player to play a high press, which is the in-vogue thing. I remember people in this very thread saying both the last 2 transfers were silly and unrealistic when we were valuing him.

If Spurs pick a manager that wants to do that, he could be ideal, Arsenal do want to play that way. Liverpool do, and maybe looking to get rid of Salah and Firmino, so wouldn't be shocked if they are in the reckoning, if the likes of Mbappe and Haaland fall through, but that probably is pie in the sky, as if they get in the Champions League they'll be looking World class.

jimmy

I think the fact he went so high, in transfers, before is it's less that he's very good, which he is, but he's the perfect player to play a high press, which is the in-vogue thing. I remember people in this very thread saying both the last 2 transfers were silly and unrealistic when we were valuing him.

If Spurs pick a manager that wants to do that, he could be ideal, Arsenal do want to play that way. Liverpool do, and maybe looking to get rid of Salah and Firmino, so wouldn't be shocked if they are in the reckoning, if the likes of Mbappe and Haaland fall through, but that probably is pie in the sky, as if they get in the Champions League they'll be looking World class.
Altogether, the deal for Diego Jota was worth £45mil. This was a bit of a surprise signing, but had had the style that Liverpool wanted.

Perhaps if his press, selfless running (+ goals) suit a 'big six'. It might happen...for mega bucks!

English too increases the price tag.

Max Payne 2

I can see him spending a second season at Villa, if they also keep Grealish and strengthen overall and he improves to 20 goals/ 8 assists then clubs on the continent will be knocking and price is solid 70M +

Max Payne 2

Of course 5+ goals at the Euros will do that too, just much quicker.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can't see Ollie going to the Euros, too much competition and he hasn't done enough since his England debut.

Mr Jinx

I can't see him being worth more than £40-50M in the transfer market, as he is not a clinical enough striker at the top, top level, at least at the moment.
Disagree to an extent. He's at Villa. Imagine his goal tally if he was being fed by the likes of Son, Alli & Bale? He could well be a contender for the golden boot.

Alistair20000

Levy is Scrooge personified, and I can't imagine Spurs being anywhere close to top bidders. They had their chance last summer, but iirc they didn't want to pay more than £15-18M. It was a bleddy good job Ollie went to Villa, where he plays virtually every minute of every game, rather than be just a back up at Spurs. It has got him his England call up and recognition. Everything is rosy for him at Villa, and at £70k a week he is financially set up for life. I can't see him being worth more than £40-50M in the transfer market, as he is not a clinical enough striker at the top, top level, at least at the moment.
Agreed. As witnessed in the Spurs match earlier in the week when he failed to put away at least a couple of chances that a top Premiership striker would have converted.