• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Trapdoor

His work rate and effort is indeed phenomenal. If there is one thing lower league football teaches people, it is "make some bloody effort". Fans will tolerate players being a bit crap technically or not being the quickest but what they wont tolerate is laziness. Woe betide anyone (Sweeney et al) who even gives a hint of slacking.

That culture is something which doesnt really exist in the top flight, or even in the championship to a degree. They prize technical ability and natural physical ability way more and so when they meet players like Watkins the level of effort and determination really surprises them. This is partly the reason I think Ampadus move to Chelsea at such a young age was a poor choice, he didnt spend long enough in the league game to cultivate that work rate and grit. This is why people now start complaining that he just points at unmarked players instead of making the effort to fix the situation. (I'm not saying Ampadu is out of his depth, I'm just saying he would have been better served by staying in the league for longer.)

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perfect hat trick? Three goals in the first half against the Premiership champions, left foot, right foot and header.

But where was the one that went in off his a*** like Big Ryan Bowman?;)

(in fairness it is worth noting that Ollie's first came about just like Ryan Bowman's. A centre forward putting that extra in in closing down a keeper, who then makes the mistake which results in the goal)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
His work rate and effort is indeed phenomenal. If there is one thing lower league football teaches people, it is "make some bloody effort".
Not always. Hasn't taught Ajose that.

tonykellowfan

Red Bill

Ollie deserves every bit of praise and recognition he gets, I hope our rising stars take note of his shining example and aren't too quick to leave the club, before taking all the opportunities it presents.
If you're good enough, you'l get your move to a big club with the big salary, if you move too soon before you've learnt enough about men's football, you might get a ten fold increase in your salary for a couple of years, but be prepared to be back playing in league two, earning league two wages after years not even making the bench at your big club!

denzel

I was about to get excited about seeing Ollie on BT Sport tonight, until I realised it was on Pay Per View.
Grrrr.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Commentary on Radio 5.

LOG

I was about to get excited about seeing Ollie on BT Sport tonight, until I realised it was on Pay Per View.
Grrrr.
Same happened to me last weekend (n)

The deluder

[QUOTE="LOG, post: 1923329, member: 289

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sounds as if Ollie is having a good game.