• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Thanks - now I can relax !
UTC
I hope you are right and I'm sure City are in a a much better position than most EFL clubs. But listening to a recent episode of the always excellent Price of Football podcast the football finance expert Kieran Maguire outlined a few points which made me ponder. I think the gist of these were that 1) most big transfer deals are paid in installments ( as in the case of Watkins' move to Villa); 2) this has left many millions (billions?) owing between clubs; 3) many clubs (even big clubs) are not being run in a financially sustainable way; 4) If one or more of these clubs were to go belly up they would leave substantial amounts of transfer monies unpaid, which could have a serious implication on others. 5) Covid hits income streams beyond just people coming through turnstiles and big clubs aren't immune. He drew comparisons with the conditions before the 2008 financial crash.
It made me think.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope you are right and I'm sure City are in a a much better position than most EFL clubs. But listening to a recent episode of the always excellent Price of Football podcast the football finance expert Kieran Maguire outlined a few points which made me ponder. I think the gist of these were that 1) most big transfer deals are paid in installments ( as in the case of Watkins' move to Villa); 2) this has left many millions (billions?) owing between clubs; 3) many clubs (even big clubs) are not being run in a financially sustainable way; 4) If one or more of these clubs were to go belly up they would leave substantial amounts of transfer monies unpaid, which could have a serious implication on others. 5) Covid hits income streams beyond just people coming through turnstiles and big clubs aren't immune. He drew comparisons with the conditions before the 2008 financial crash.
It made me think.
Oh Sh1t - I wont sleep now !

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
In an idle moment I thought I'd see what Villa fans make of Ollie so far.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/20598-ollie-watkins/page/163/ onwards makes interesting reading, following their 0-3 away win at Bristol City last Thursday (in which he failed to score).

I don't have Villa fans down as the most optimistic of sorts (why would they be?) but they do seem to be taken with their new forward...

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sky commentators made plenty of approving comments about Ollie’s all round performance the other night against Fulham.

Banksy

Sky commentators made plenty of approving comments about Ollie’s all round performance the other night against Fulham.
I didn’t watch it , but knowing Ollie I expect he worked very hard as usual.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
This from the Guardian's story on Villa having the best transfer window:

"Watkins has done even better, scoring in both rounds of the cup. He will be desperate to get off the mark in the league, but his movement and tireless work ethic have already helped Villa play 10 yards higher up the pitch and alleviate pressure on the defence."

Nigel E

I didn’t watch it , but knowing Ollie I expect he worked very hard as usual.
He did, and looks to have developed a good understanding with Grealish already. I think he is also surprising defenders with his pace and strength.

Needs to relax though. Looked absolutely desperate to score against Fulham - probably saw them as a good chance to get his first goal in the League.

Banksy

Bound to be a bit tense until he gets that first goal. Then the floodgates will open.

Reactions: DB9

STURTZ

Might find Villa fans won't be so supportive after losing for the first time this season, at home to Stoke (Ollie sub, came on in 71st minute). Must be said Brentford are looking great without him, Benrahma is on fire!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Might find Villa fans won't be so supportive after losing for the first time this season, at home to Stoke (Ollie sub, came on in 71st minute). Must be said Brentford are looking great without him, Benrahma is on fire!
I doubt if they will hold him responsible for that defeat.

A goal on Sunday home to Liverpool would go down nicely, though...