• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hmmm. Was Watkins as good as Toney is now when he left City? It’s debatable.
To their credit, Brentford develop players and move them on for a profit.
before Brentford signed Ollie he had just become the EFL young player of the year. So he had been voted as the best young player outside the Premiership, including all young Championship and League One players.

That award had a prestigious background, with Gareth Bale Dele Alli etc as previous winners.

Has Toney ever won that award ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
before Brentford signed Ollie he had just become the EFL young player of the year. So he had been voted as the best young player outside the Premiership, including all young Championship and League One players.

That award had a prestigious background, with Gareth Bale Dele Alli etc as previous winners.

A pretty good list

Long Lost Bee

No but he’s just won League One player of the year. I can’t quite get the relevance of your question TBH. Are you saying that Toney isn’t/ wont be as good as Ollie 🤔

Long Lost Bee

Big difference between L1 and championship as you're well aware.
I have no doubt he will do well but he may not fly out of the gates in his first season.
I may come back to you on that one.

manc grecian

Who gives a flying **** about Ivan Toney?

iscalad

Who gives a flying **** about Ivan Toney?
Long Lost 🐝 apparently

andrew p long

No but he’s just won League One player of the year. I can’t quite get the relevance of your question TBH. Are you saying that Toney isn’t/ wont be as good as Ollie 🤔
my post was in response to the post at 4632 from someone else TavyRed- not you- querying whether Watkins was as good a player as Toney, judging both of them at the point they joined Brentford. Toney’s record in League One and the award he has won is impressive, but (contrary to some lazy journalism) Watkins was not an unknown when he signed for Brentford. His award was as a young player better than any other young player *in the Championship*. I genuinely did not know whether Toney had won such an award, though suspected the answer was no. So the evidence goes both ways. The relevance of my post was to the question posed in post 4632, not to your questions about how good Toney will be. I haven’t the faintest idea how good Toney will become.

in case it makes you feel better I was not intending to question TavyRed’s correct proposition that Brentford deserve credit for developing players and selling them on

and, for future reference, not every question on this thread is directed personally to you.

STURTZ

We all owe the development of Ollie to Paul Tisdale, well according to his own blog, wonder if that might explain the rumoured missing 5% of his 20% sell on fee?

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
While we wait impatiently for our windfall here is a statistical analysis; apparently he has no weaknesses.

tavyred

my post was in response to the post at 4632 from someone else TavyRed- not you- querying whether Watkins was as good a player as Toney, judging both of them at the point they joined Brentford.
My post was in response to iscalad, who (I think) prematurely IMO thinks Toney won’t be as good as Ollie is now when his time to move on from Brentford comes around.
Incidentally, I think Toney’s efforts in LG1 this season does trump Ollie’s EFL award and his last season with City in LG2

Last edited: