• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
If the buy out clause is in there for £18m then Brentford would have no choice but to accept the first offer, Then its down to Ollies agent to choose a club that gives him the best personal terms, Exactly the same as when Stockley went to PNE, It was £750k for him, We had no choice then. I'd imagine Brentford will put in their own buy out clause and extras in the negociations too, For example if Palace bought him and he really did well and got an England call up and bigger clubs coming sniffing, Brentford would want a chunk any future deal just like us.
I am not sure that Brentford would be able to add any stipulations that are not in the buy out clause DB. I am sure we would have sought to do likewise in Stockley's case if it were. Bleddy agents hey ?

Rosencrantz

If the buy out clause is in there for £18m then Brentford would have no choice but to accept the first offer, Then its down to Ollies agent to choose a club that gives him the best personal terms, Exactly the same as when Stockley went to PNE, It was £750k for him, We had no choice then. I'd imagine Brentford will put in their own buy out clause and extras in the negociations too, For example if Palace bought him and he really did well and got an England call up and bigger clubs coming sniffing, Brentford would want a chunk any future deal just like us.
I'm not sure that would apply if there is a buy out clause. Just a straight up £18 million and that's all that is required, no add-ons or sell-on necessary. They can always ask, but the buying club are not obligated to offer any more than the cash.

DB9

I am not sure that Brentford would be able to add any stipulations that are not in the buy out clause DB. I am sure we would have sought to do likewise in Stockley's case if it were. Bleddy agents hey ?
Maybe so CB but we don't know if there is a clause or what's in it and we didn't either with Stockley. Only time will tell.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It appears that Leeds, Villa, Southampton, and Palace are all interested in Watkins so it will be a blow to us if the buy out clause of 18m is true. I still don't believe it is.
I personally do not believe Brentford would have been that stupid as he had a good substantial amount of time on his contract anyways. Hopefully a proper bidding war will ensue and at least give us a good chunk of cash to safeguard the immediate future of the club.

IndoMike

I personally do not believe Brentford would have been that stupid as he had a good substantial amount of time on his contract anyways. Hopefully a proper bidding war will ensue and at least give us a good chunk of cash to safeguard the immediate future of the club.
I also think Brentford would have been daft to have allowed an 18m buy-out clause, but on the other hand it depends on who was in the driving seat at the time of the deal. If Brentford's overall profit is only around 14m
for selling the 2nd top scorer in the Champ'ship who still has potential for improvement they will be sick as a parrot.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I also think Brentford would have been daft to have allowed an 18m buy-out clause, but on the other hand it depends on who was in the driving seat at the time of the deal. If Brentford's overall profit is only around 14m
for selling the 2nd top scorer in the Champ'ship who still has potential for improvement they will be sick as a parrot.
I suppose worse case £2.4m best case £3.2m.

Regardless it will be a huge chunk of cash into the club. If what I saw about Ben Chrisene are true as well at £500,000 then anywhere between £2.9m and £3.7m will be coming into the club which in itself is a years worth of income which means we should be able to see ourselves through the worse of the corona crisis and still have a club. I would be interested to know if that comes off how much cash reserves the club have and how we expect to get income into the club this season (I presume via I follow)

Red Devon

I suppose worse case £2.4m best case £3.2m.

Regardless it will be a huge chunk of cash into the club. If what I saw about Ben Chrisene are true as well at £500,000 then anywhere between £2.9m and £3.7m will be coming into the club which in itself is a years worth of income which means we should be able to see ourselves through the worse of the corona crisis and still have a club. I would be interested to know if that comes off how much cash reserves the club have and how we expect to get income into the club this season (I presume via I follow)
Where did you see those numbers if you don’t mind me asking?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where did you see those numbers if you don’t mind me asking?
I am guessing those numbers are based on either a 15% sell on or a 20% sell on depending on which applies.

Boyo

I am guessing those numbers are based on either a 15% sell on or a 20% sell on depending on which applies.
That's right, based on an £18m sale. Of course there is no release clause and he goes for more than £18m.... £££

denzel

What do people fail to understand about a release clause?

Assuming the BBC are correct, if a club (any club) offers £18m, then Brentford have no choice but to accept. No club would therefore choose to pay more!
What if Watkins doesn't want to go to that club? Rumours of Palace would be disappointing for him, and maybe he doesnt want to move up North which would rule out Leeds?