• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
**** me you lot. All he's saying is he wanted Ollie to realise he wasn't involved in the game enough. We'd be saying the same thing if a player was stood out on the touchline waiting for the ball. There's nothing complicated in what Tisdale says. It makes sense.

**** me you lot. All he's saying is he wanted Ollie to realise he wasn't involved in the game enough. We'd be saying the same thing if a player was stood out on the touchline waiting for the ball. There's nothing complicated in what Tisdale says. It makes sense.
A lot of what Tisdale makes sense perhaps it is just the way he says it. To be fair to him when he joined the Club he initially went through a spell where every season he improved our position in the leagues starting in the Conference through to League Two and League One.

Then the wheels started to come off strange team selections, tactics and questionable signings. At the same time he seemed to begin distancing himself from ourselves as supporters and his ego seemed to make him incapable of accepting any criticism or acknowledging that he did not always get it right. Interesting though that since he has left every player who has been asked about him has had nothing but good to say about him.

Personally I think because he was given free rein by Club to do as he pleased within the budget given him and seemed to be under no pressure from above to produce results on the pitch he began to see the Cub as his. He literally had a dream job was also on a nice little earner and resented any, as he would probably have considered it to be, interference from outside of the Club e.g The Trust.

When the Trust and it’s membership started to flex it’s muscles he realised that with the loss of his rolling contract his position had changed and was no longer fire proof. He greatly resented this and there was no way his ego was going to allow him to sign another contract whereby he would have been under the same pressure to deliver on field success in the same way as most of his fellow managers were and the writing was well and truly on the wall.....the rest of course is now consigned to the history books.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
In effect, what Tis could have said in the article was :
"Ollie is a great lad and when I told him to get more involved in the game he responded well".

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
In effect, what Tis could have said in the article was :
"Ollie is a great lad and when I told him to get more involved in the game he responded well".
Exactly but Tis’s mantra always use three or more words even if one will suffice. He may have been and obviously was a good communicator to his players but not so much to those of us whom as supporters he appeared to just about tolerate. Whereas MT’s direct approach is such a breath of fresh air, has more warmth and makes you feel part of the Club.

LOG

Funny innit that this interview, much like other media interviews he's given over the years, comes across as slightly rambling and repetitive but i've been in a couple of small group situations with him and on both occasions he was incredibly engaging and spoke well.

IndoMike

Exactly but Tis’s mantra always use three or more words even if one will suffice. He may have been and obviously was a good communicator to his players but not so much to those of us whom as supporters he appeared to just about tolerate. Whereas MT’s direct approach is such a breath of fresh air, has more warmth and makes you feel part of the Club.
I agree. Matt is very informative and tells us in plain language what we need to know.

Red Devon

Finished Swansea 1 Brentford 0.....Ollie certainly has not done his burgeoning reputation any harm.....all still to play for but Brentford have an even worse playoff record than ourselves.....the curse of the red and white stripes!!!?
Apparently the curse is now 31 games long 😬

grecIAN Harris

Apparently the curse is now 31 games long 😬
But will Brentford play in their stripes given that Fulham play in white and Brentford wore their away kit at Swansea........ who also play in white.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
But will Brentford play in their stripes given that Fulham play in white and Brentford wore their away kit at Swansea........ who also play in white.
Depends who wins the toss to be home team?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
GH the hoodoo applies to Clubs playing in Football League or EFL playoff finals whose registered strip is red and white stripes nothing to do with whether they wear it in the final or not.

dommers

Matt is very informative and tells us in plain language what we need to know.
And that he's going to get the players to sort. I'm still waiting for that bit.