• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Legohead

Banned
Got what could be the winner against Boro.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ching , ching , ching.

BerksBee

And so it proved to be.

Not at our best today, but a lot of credit for that must go to Middlesbrough as with other sides they're working out how to deal with us. Watkins was tightly marked by two players for most of the game as he was against Forest as were the other two front men, but he still managed to lose his markers and score the third goal.

He's on schedule to score 30+ goals this season, equal first with Mitrovich on 20 goals and Mitrovich is a £40m player according to Fulham!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ching , ching , ching.
A win this coming Tuesday and scoring against Leeds would certainly be more ching, ching, ching.

Legohead

Banned
And so it proved to be.

Not at our best today, but a lot of credit for that must go to Middlesbrough as with other sides they're working out how to deal with us. Watkins was tightly marked by two players for most of the game as he was against Forest as were the other two front men, but he still managed to lose his markers and score the third goal.

He's on schedule to score 30+ goals this season, equal first with Mitrovich on 20 goals and Mitrovich is a £40m player according to Fulham!
Mitrovic however is also a seasoned International footballer and someone who has had prior experience of the Premier League. It's daft to say it given how well Watkins has done thus far but any Prem club splashing the cash on him are still taking a risk and gambling on huge potential being fulfilled at the highest level. A bit like Man U with Dan James. So in that respect Mitrovic surely has to be worth more than Watkins.

Spoonz Red E

Mitrovic however is also a seasoned International footballer and someone who has had prior experience of the Premier League. It's daft to say it given how well Watkins has done thus far but any Prem club splashing the cash on him are still taking a risk and gambling on huge potential being fulfilled at the highest level. A bit like Man U with Dan James. So in that respect Mitrovic surely has to be worth more than Watkins.
There is a logic to what you say but having followed Ollie since his early days in youth games one thing that has been consistent is he always steps up to the new level in front of him.
He's an intelligent and confident person and, I think, fully aware of the rewards to be gained by application and doggedness.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him succeed at a higher level.

Legohead

Banned
There is a logic to what you say but having followed Ollie since his early days in youth games one thing that has been consistent is he always steps up to the new level in front of him.
He's an intelligent and confident person and, I think, fully aware of the rewards to be gained by application and doggedness.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him succeed at a higher level.
I agree Spoonz. I didn't say he couldn't make the step up - I think 100% he can but i'm saying that to a buying club it's still a gamble. What makes me laugh is the fact we are debating if he's good enough yet Crystal Palace have Christian Benteke up front. If there was a choice between Benteke and a raw Watkins then it's Watkins every day of the week.

BerksBee

I agree Spoonz. I didn't say he couldn't make the step up - I think 100% he can but i'm saying that to a buying club it's still a gamble.
Yes, it's always a gamble, predominantly for the reasons I mentioned earlier—you get less time and fewer chances in the Premiership than you do in the Championship. There are plenty of examples too. Our own Andre Gray is now a bench sitter at Watford (I never rated him much because he missed too many easy chances in the Championship!) and Dwight Gayle, knocks them in for fun in the Championship but can't hold down a place in a Premiership side. It's also interesting that Maupay is now on the bench at Brighton, perhaps he's going the same way? Talking of Maupay, Watkins now has more goals at this stage of the season in the League than Maupay did last season.

I have no doubt at all that Watkins will make the step up because he's driven and determined to improve -

OLLIE: 'I'M NOT GOING TO STOP NOW, I'M GOING TO WORK EVEN HARDER'

Legohead

Banned
Never rated Andre Gray. Too lightweight and inconsistent. Dwight Gayle is top Championship quality but doesn't have the ability to make the step up to a consistent Prem striker. Maupay not seen a lot of so the jury is out with him. The plight of the three just mentioned indicates how difficult it is to make the step up to the highest level and perform on a reasonably consistent basis. Hopefully Ollie will get his move and do the business in the Prem.

andrew p long

Just been watching the intro to the Sheffield Utd game. Wilder has pinned up in the dressing room articles which said that Sheffield Utd had no chance in the Prem and weren’t even trying because they were relying on Championship players and hadn’t splashed on players from the Premiership in the summer window