• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
No its not, 20 goals a season in the PL is damn hard going but you're dismissing him out of hand because he hasn't come in straight to a big club, I know its a while back but Ian Wright worked his way up and was a top, top player in the PL with Aresnal, Ollie is only 24 and i think he is the most exciting player outside of the PL we've seen in a while. The players you mentioned haven't done it totally agree with you but you know sometimes a player comes along who might just be better than them and i'd like to think Ollie is
Wrighty was playing top flight football for Palace before he went to Arsenal. He had already proved he was capable of playing at the highest level. That, and back then foreign imports were still a very rare 'commodity'.

DB9

Because money talks and both Arsenal and Spurs will go out and spend massive money on ready made 'stars', it's what their fanbase demands. If Poch had still been in charge at Spurs I might have been inclined not to include them. And you're on about the rest of the 'top six', do you think Ollie would get in in front of Liverpools front three? Do you think he would get in in front of Rashford, Martial and the emerging Greenwood and James at United (although to be fair to Ollie, Solskjaer that is, he might be the one to take a punt on our Ollie in the 'big 6')? Do you think he would get in in front of Chelseas front line options? And there ain't no way hope in hell he would get in at City. It's realism. When he moves up and if he continues to prove himself then his time will come with one of them but he isn't going to go from Brentford to a top six club. If he did, he could end up like Amps is at the moment. Treading water being loaned out.
I can't see City or Liverpool needed him but other clubs you mention have a lot of unrest with players wanting out, Unsettled etc so you never know (I realsie its a long shot). My main point is why people dismiss a player from a lower league out of hand so quickly but a foreign signing must be the best in the world when the PL is littered with foriegn failures

DB9

Wrighty was playing top flight football for Palace before he went to Arsenal. He had already proved he was capable of playing at the highest level. That, and back then foreign imports were still a very rare 'commodity'.
A club at that time considered a "Yo-Yo club" but you're right about very few foreign imports at that time

grecIAN Harris

I can't see City or Liverpool needed him but other clubs you mention have a lot of unrest with players wanting out, Unsettled etc so you never know (I realsie its a long shot). My main point is why people dismiss a player from a lower league out of hand so quickly but a foreign signing must be the best in the world when the PL is littered with foriegn failures
I'm not saying it's right but just how it is. You could pick out just about any top named player in the world and the top six could afford to sign him. So if you're Guardiola or Klopp or Mouriniho and you have the choice of the very proven international Lewendoski from Bayern Munich or the very still to be proven Ollie Watkins, who are you going to pick (without your City tinted glasses on)? The Premier League is all about instant success and that is what the top six managers have to cope with. They don't have time to hope that Ollie will come good. However, give him a couple of seasons with one of the 'lesser lights' and he is proving himself, maybe even catching the eye of a certain Mr Southgate, and then give the option and the picture changes. You don't have to like it. You don't have to agree with it but it's how life at the top of The Premier League works.
Me, I'd love to see the likes of Ollie go straight up to the big boys and get their chance. It's hard enough for those already there to get it. Look at Tammy Abrahams, he's been loaned out more times than a library book at Chelsea and, let's be honest, has only got his chance because of the transfer embargo at Chelsea. Finally he has got there but he's had to work bloody hard and get a stroke of luck.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I haven’t dismissed him at all - good luck
To Ollie I hope he goes onto have a top career at the top level...

Ash

Time will tell
Indeed it will, and if Brentford don't go up that time is likely to come in the next 7 months or so.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
James Maddison went from Norwich to Leicester for £25M I believe, and that’s when Norwich were in the Championship.

If Ollie ends up with 25-30 goals this season then he will easily command that kind of fee. Today’s market is ridiculous and a young, English striker would go for top whack.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
James Maddison went from Norwich to Leicester for £25M I believe, and that’s when Norwich were in the Championship.

If Ollie ends up with 25-30 goals this season then he will easily command that kind of fee. Today’s market is ridiculous and a young, English striker would go for top whack.
Let's hope so because the money in the bank is diminishing. The things we could do with that cash!

WXF

The PL has signed so many foriegn journeymen who have turned out pants but here we have a real home grown talent who i think could do really well in the PL but no because he's British and come up through the leagues ain't "Worthy Enough" to sign for a big club
I don’t recognise your description. The extent to which it’s worth it is a different matter, but British players aren't overlooked but attract a premium

DB9

I don’t recognise your description. The extent to which it’s worth it is a different matter, but British players aren't overlooked but attract a premium
Ryan Sesseguon = £25m Dirk Van Diyk = £75m